Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 4.6 2v with a s475 with a fully built 4rw70 in my 2001 Bullitt Mustang but messed up a rod so looking to start a new build. I don't want to keep my 4.6 for the power I want to achieve, so been wanting to do a 5.4 2v out of a lightning. I am curious on what parts I can and cannot use. My cams, fuel rails, headers, motor wire harness, and if my 4rw70 will bolt right up? Also if there are other post with similar swaps please let me know. Any information appreciated.

·
Registered
979 Posts
If my lightning knowledge serves me correctly, the Lightning is a 5.4 4V, not a 2V. The 2V is the basic 5.4 offered in F150s from 97-08 at the very least, possibly past that to 2010.

That said, there is plenty of info on swap if you hit the search bar here, or just google it. Heres a few I got within about 3 seconds from googling '4.6 to 5.4 swap'

Mustang Engine Swap - Installing a 5.4L Motor in a New Edge - 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords Magazine
4.6 to 5.4 engine swap - Ford Mustang Forum
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/4-6l-talk/867146-5-4-swap-complete.html
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/modular-mustangs/139746-5-4-swap-write-up.html

Good luck

·
Registered
982 Posts
Lightning's are 2v motors.

A 4v 4.6 would get you anywhere you want to go though. Probably about the same amount of work

·
Registered
979 Posts
Lightning's are 2v motors.

A 4v 4.6 would get you anywhere you want to go though. Probably about the same amount of work
Learned something new today. I always though the lightnings were a 4V. Also I should amend my previous comment. 04-08 F150s are a 5.4 3V if equipped with the 5.4.

This was definitely an informative page with regards to the 5.4 and 4.6 applications.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
a 5.4 2v would be easier to find and cheaper to buy parts for, but the 4v gives you a different power range/curve. either way you will be making an additional 50 lb ft roght out of the box. if you go 2v, find an HPS hardball'r intake. the fuel rails should be the same, just extend the hose connecting one side from the other. mustang 4.6 2v heads will bolt to a 5.4 2v as well. you can use intake spacers Nd your stock ibtake, but like I said... if you can find the HpS intake, that is far superior.

·
Registered
982 Posts
you can get away with a monster cam in the 5.4 but I have not heard real good things about the Hardballer intake (I have no actual experience with this intake) But intake and heads are the main drawback for the 5.4 2v. I have researched this heavily as that was originally the direction I was going, but changed my mind when I realized what a compression bump can do for a boosted e85 4.6 2v.

Getting the 5.4 to stretch its legs with 2v heads and intake options is hard to do and would eventually end up costing more than the same WHP 4.6 build. A turbo 4.6 2v is still a good platform for a 10 and even 8 second car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So after a couple wks going back and forth on what setup I was going to move forward with I'm pretty set on going with a coyote as my power plant. Researched heavily on a few builds with similar setups that I'm going for, S475 borg warner turbo, and 4r70w transmission. I plan on finding a used longblock and getting the control pack from ford.

I do have a question, if i get the holley hp do I still have to get the control pack? Difference is around 500 and im familiar with holley.

Depending on the mileage, shape, or if i get af150 or mustang motor i may run it stock for a season on low boost and rebuild with forged internals over time or if needed.

Hoping i can use my headers from my 4.6 and just re do the piping to the turbo as i want to run ac in this setup due to Houston summers not being friendly. So I'll have to get extra brackets but it's been done so thats on the list.

In the mean time I'll be cleaning the engine bay, re routing the wires, and eventually paint it before the new motor goes in.

Hopefully be complete by the end of the year but for sure before 2k next year.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Your 4.6 headers will not work on a coyote. You might be able to get away with stock coyote manifolds turned around for the turbo.

Im not sure about your control pack question, sorry.

·
Registered
264 Posts
IMO coyote swaps end up becoming too complicated and too expensive. But if you can afford to do it the right way, or have all the time in the world, then go for it lol.

I'm not familiar with the Holley HP, but you don't need the whole control pack if you do a stand alone. You should contact Holley just to be safe.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
IMO coyote swaps end up becoming too complicated and too expensive. But if you can afford to do it the right way, or have all the time in the world, then go for it lol.

I'm not familiar with the Holley HP, but you don't need the whole control pack if you do a stand alone. You should contact Holley just to be safe.
You know before I posted I had more written that was critical to coyote swaps but I didnt want to come off as a dick especially if nobody else shared my point of view lol. But I do have to agree, and another point is why swap a motor in just to boost it. I guess the cool factor but imo money could be better spent elsewhere.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Looking back on the op I see he was asking about a 5.4 2v. Anyone remember sharkbait? I dont remember the specifics but he ran it na initially then turbo’d it. Ill have to look for his thread. I do remember that the 5.4 has lower compression than the 4.6 because the pistons dont get as close to the top of the bore as the 4.6 pistons do at top dead center. It wouldnt explain why power is about the same as a similarly modded 4.6 but its just 1 part of the puzzle.

With a turbo I think I remember it being nasty but I could be wrong its been forever.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
the hardball'r intake is the way to go for the 5.4 2v, it fixed the injector spray issues caused by after plates. and provides a good, useable power curve.

the 5.4 will also provide an additional 50 ft lbs from the start. more tq per psi than the 4.6. if I were to find a hardball'r. I would have done the same setup I had previously on my motor. turbo cam with like .220 intake exhaust duration 114 pda, 130#springs, and a 67mm ball bearing at 13 psi. I bet it would make 650-700 tq.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Is the hardball’r still being made? I remember a few years ago it was only made when demanded.

The torque would be awesome on the street and in the 1/8th.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Is the hardball’r still being made? I remember a few years ago it was only made when demanded.

not sure, the guy was starting to get shop setback up a few years ago when I spoke to him, haven't checked up on that in a while. I would be interested in getting one for a 5.4 swap project in another car someday.

·
Registered
11,188 Posts

·
Registered
4,557 Posts

not sure, the guy was starting to get shop setback up a few years ago when I spoke to him, haven't checked up on that in a while. I would be interested in getting one for a 5.4 swap project in another car someday.
I was thinking the same thing. It crossed my mind when I bought my 02 gt. Im trying to do things that people havent done to make power but really its all been covered. Now a 5.4 3v would be bad ass! My buddy has one in his 06 f150 and even with the weight of his truck that thing moves. Still a custom 5.4 2v even na would be cool.

Ah thanks for finding those! Those are some great numbers!

·
Registered
11,188 Posts

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Looking back on the op I see he was asking about a 5.4 2v. Anyone remember sharkbait? I dont remember the specifics but he ran it na initially then turbo’d it. Ill have to look for his thread. I do remember that the 5.4 has lower compression than the 4.6 because the pistons dont get as close to the top of the bore as the 4.6 pistons do at top dead center. It wouldnt explain why power is about the same as a similarly modded 4.6 but its just 1 part of the puzzle.

With a turbo I think I remember it being nasty but I could be wrong its been forever.
If I'm not mistaken, he lightning swapped it first, leading to that enormous blower sticking out the hood.

Now on to discussing the 5.4 2V. They're the same compression as the 4.6. What kills them is they're running the exact same head as the 4.6. Imagine that, you're trying to fill a 17% larger cylinder with the same head we all know leaves a lot to be desired. That's the biggest handicap. Aftermarket heads will really pay off on a 5.4 2V.

When you start talking cams you have to take a lot more into account. You have a longer stroke than the 4.6 with the same bore, and it can't turn as high RPM, so your cam spec is going to be different than a 4.6.

For the most part you're going to gain more torque at the lower part of the curve (and consequently power), though largely at the cost of high end. If that's what you really want, be sure to tailor your build to it with the appropriate heads, cams, and intake.

For parts remember the 5.4 is basically a tall decked 4.6. That means all your bottom end accessories will swap over. If you're not using a 4.6 intake with adapters you might need a new fuel rail (or modify your existing one.) The wiring harness will probably reach. The headers would need to be modified or replaced.

Personally I think if I was rebuilding it I would opt for improving my 4.6, unless you really want some added torque/power down low. And if I were to go the 5.4 route I'd go for a 4V that flows much, much better.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts