Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to learn about turbos to figure out if I want turbo or sc. I need to pass visual in NC so it seems on3 is not an option since it requires smog delete. What is the best option that would allow for emissions **** to be hooked up? Doesn't matter if the emissions **** is working just has to be boltedup.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Trying to learn about turbos to figure out if I want turbo or sc. I need to pass visual in NC so it seems on3 is not an option since it requires smog delete. What is the best option that would allow for emissions **** to be hooked up? Doesn't matter if the emissions **** is working just has to be boltedup.
I can't speak for the On3 but you can do a Vortech SC and leave all of the smog stuff. Mine passes visual AND the two speed sniffer in VA and has for years at random shops with no favors.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't speak for the On3 but you can do a Vortech SC and leave all of the smog stuff. Mine passes visual AND the two speed sniffer in VA and has for years at random shops with no favors.
I was told my engine was too deep breathing for a sc. Its a 363 dart, afr 205, comp xfi. For sc I was told I need either a novi 2000 or ysi. Trying to figure out what my turbo options are and what the comparative cost is.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
You would need a healty blower, yes. There's also the Procharger D1 to consider too. Putting a small blower (P600 with the smallest pully they offer) on a 342, 3 inch intercooler, Track intake, 70mm TB, and Anderson blower cam resulted in this crappy peak at 5100. Something to show the reality of small blower on bigger cubes with intercooler ruducing boost because it has more area to compress the air in.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You would need a healty blower, yes. There's also the Procharger D1 to consider too. Putting a small blower (P600 with the smallest pully they offer) on a 342, 3 inch intercooler, Track intake, 70mm TB, and Anderson blower cam resulted in this crappy peak at 5100. Something to show the reality of small blower on bigger cubes with intercooler ruducing boost because it has more area to compress the air in.

My research says prochargers are not reliable. They leak. I want reliable proven tech. Would hellion or b&g work? What size turbo and kit would I need? The experience with turbo doesn't seem to be there with turbo like it is with the superchargers.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
That's cuz turbo technology has come a long way with reliability and affordability as of late. Superchargers have been the staple until now. That's why so many people can answer sc questions but not turbo's.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts

Meh, d1 is a pretty healthy flowing blower. Should be good for 600 and up. Not much more. Unless was that dyno a p1 car?

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
That was the dyno from the P600. He's gotta sort his transmission issues and spend some coin on that before he goes D1. He's sticking with Procharger because of the Driver's side mount cuz all he'd have to change is the bracket that holds is on.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It looks like the hellion kit will accommodate the smog pump but its 4k for just the basic kit and id probably have to upgrade to a bigger turbo. The install would probably cost a shitload as well. Probably looking at about 3k more to do that instead of the novi.

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
I know at least 4 people here who have passed visual with no smog pump, idiots dont even know what a smog pump is

·
Registered
139 Posts
Okay sorta off yall's discussion, but my dad is looking into getting a 1984 Mercury Capri rs 2.3 turbo. I don't really have any knowledge on turbos, but I was wondering if the Garret 60 trim turbo off of that Capri would work on my 1990 mustang with the 302 5.0??

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
If your woried about passing smog dont even bother i pay $100 in ny to pass my 306 mustang with a 150 shot. So if your going to complain about emissions dont even bother.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts