Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In about a month I will be buying a single turbo kit from on3performance.
I have a couple of questions on what else I will need to complete the kit.
goals: ~400hp/420tq with stock heads and stock short block

I will need a tubular k-member, so can I just buy the k-member and use my stock a-arms or will I also need tubular a arms?
-What fuel pump/injectors for around 500hp?
-What Maf should I get. I want the one you put after the turbo right before the throttle body (draw thru?)

Also what clutch should I get to make sure I can run my goal power all day with no problems?

This is going to be a street only car, it will not see the track, nor will it see slicks any time soon.

and final question, Will I need to buy a tuner to go get my car dyno tuned, or do tuners use their own?

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ps, does anybody have any experience with this kit? I heard they really improved in the last 2 years

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
I'll try to help the best I can for a few questions:

Dual Cobra pumps and a BAP will take care of the pumps. Lots of guys running pulley'd Cobras at those power levels with that. You can step up to SVT Focus pumps or GT as well, which may not require a BAP.
42lb/hr injectors should work for your needs, but if you're going closer to 500 you can get 60's.
I think the Centerforce 2 clutch should hold it, but you've got lots of options for clutches, that will just be personal preference.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
go with just some 42s if you dont for see any built motor any time soon in the future..

do a single pump and a boost a pump or get dual cobra pumps your choice..

im a spec guy so i say go with a spec stage 2

and you will need the FULL kmember kit...kmember,aarms,coil over kit,cc plates

the tuners will have sct or diablo(whichever they use) you can just get a packge type thing..my tuner charges 650 for xcal 3 and 2 tunes..street and a race tune

maf go with a stock 05 and up of a hpx since you want BLOW thru

the kit still fits like ****(but what do you expect from a kit thats cheap..but the kit does still make power)

and your power goal is easily reach with 8lbs of boost...do not get the cheap ass on3 turbo either get the precision turbo..

good luck

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
The kit is cheap, you get what you pay for. Youll have to modify the piping to fit and make some mounts or brackets here and there and it will be a long fight. The turbo that comes with it is some china made piece of ****. Upgrade it. You will need a tubular k member and research that because not all brand names work with it. IMO if im going to do all that work and spend over 2 grand anyway, then go with something nice. This is basically just a nicer ebay turbo kit.

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
with a Precision turbo 8psi will be enough for your power levels. You will make more then 420rwtq too. Like stated you need for tubular suspension...better off to anyway.

42lbs should work but IMO 60s are good to grow on. A GT pump and BAP may get you 500rwhp but it might be pushing your duty cycle. Its a good start tho. Dual Cobra pumps would be a good bet also.

for your MAF slot style 05+ HPX VMP tuning one no doubt.

Reactions: maxgst

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll try to help the best I can for a few questions:

Dual Cobra pumps and a BAP will take care of the pumps. Lots of guys running pulley'd Cobras at those power levels with that. You can step up to SVT Focus pumps or GT as well, which may not require a BAP.
42lb/hr injectors should work for your needs, but if you're going closer to 500 you can get 60's.
I think the Centerforce 2 clutch should hold it, but you've got lots of options for clutches, that will just be personal preference.
Thank you very much sir, reps to you. what is bap? boost a pump? and what does it do??

go with just some 42s if you dont for see any built motor any time soon in the future..

do a single pump and a boost a pump or get dual cobra pumps your choice..

im a spec guy so i say go with a spec stage 2

and you will need the FULL kmember kit...kmember,aarms,coil over kit,cc plates

the tuners will have sct or diablo(whichever they use) you can just get a packge type thing..my tuner charges 650 for xcal 3 and 2 tunes..street and a race tune

maf go with a stock 05 and up of a hpx since you want BLOW thru

the kit still fits like ****(but what do you expect from a kit thats cheap..but the kit does still make power)

and your power goal is easily reach with 8lbs of boost...do not get the cheap ass on3 turbo either get the precision turbo..

good luck
Thanks! reps, so the maf that comes in the 05+ gt's would work for my application?

with a Precision turbo 8psi will be enough for your power levels. You will make more then 420rwtq too. Like stated you need for tubular suspension...better off to anyway.

42lbs should work but IMO 60s are good to grow on. A GT pump and BAP may get you 500rwhp but it might be pushing your duty cycle. Its a good start tho. Dual Cobra pumps would be a good bet also.

for your MAF slot style 05+ HPX VMP tuning one no doubt.
thanks a lot dude, reps

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The kit is cheap, you get what you pay for. Youll have to modify the piping to fit and make some mounts or brackets here and there and it will be a long fight. The turbo that comes with it is some china made piece of ****. Upgrade it. You will need a tubular k member and research that because not all brand names work with it. IMO if im going to do all that work and spend over 2 grand anyway, then go with something nice. This is basically just a nicer ebay turbo kit.
I have done some research and it looks like as long as you get the k member you should be good as fitting goes. do you have the kit, or any experience with it?

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
you need a pigpail and slot style VMP tuning MAF. I have a pic one sec

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
everyone rep scott! lol thanks dude

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Man your not listening...they have the fitment problems with the kmember...you cant install the kit at all with a stock kmember..so be it the,upr kit or the qa1...the fit was tight and its low so we made some brackets to a few pipes to pull then back up...i have helped put on 3 kits on friends cars....but if you have any little mechanic abilty you can put the kit on...pending you have all the right tools and impact and ****...good luck

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Depending on what type of driving you do depends on the K member you should get as well. QA1 and UPR are fine for drag, not so great for carving corners.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Depending on what type of driving you do depends on the K member you should get as well. QA1 and UPR are fine for drag, not so great for carving corners.
well like I stated before this will be a street only car, so what k member do you recommend?

·
Registered
998 Posts
In about a month I will be buying a single turbo kit from on3performance.
I have a couple of questions on what else I will need to complete the kit.
goals: ~400hp/420tq with stock heads and stock short block

I will need a tubular k-member, so can I just buy the k-member and use my stock a-arms or will I also need tubular a arms?
-What fuel pump/injectors for around 500hp?
-What Maf should I get. I want the one you put after the turbo right before the throttle body (draw thru?)

Also what clutch should I get to make sure I can run my goal power all day with no problems?

This is going to be a street only car, it will not see the track, nor will it see slicks any time soon.

and final question, Will I need to buy a tuner to go get my car dyno tuned, or do tuners use their own?

Thanks in advance!!
OK... WOW. OK. Well I will help you out since I have already have the on3 kit and love it. But let me start off and tell you that you are in for a project.

"K-member", I bought the QA1 kit w/coilovers off Ebay. I ended up only paying like $389 shipped to the door. You do need to get the tubular A-arms for it to be right. But it does come in a kit so it's just a matter of bolting it up. (You will need to have the car alligned after install.)

"Mass Air & Injectors" I bought there mass air kit from on3 because I bought the 60lb injectors They are good for an est. 750-800 rwhp "I bought them from on3 together at once and they also included the block to install the Mass Air to the piping." But I later upgraded it to the SCT Big Air Mass Air. What they have on thier cars is a "Blow Through" type and this is what you want.

"Fuel Pump" I currently have a GT Supercar pump installed and I am getting the numbers in my sig. I am upgrading this weekend to the cobra tank and dual Supercar pumps so I can up the boost.

"Clutch" You will want one that will hold the torque that you will be putting down. Turbo's produce crazy torque and that is what breaks things. I personally had good luck with a RAM Stage II clutch.

"Tune" You will need to have the car tuned either by a hand held unit or chip. The chip will run you about $70 at most and the tuner will run you $400 at most. The handheld unit is nice because you don't have to take the computer out to tune the car, the chip they do. But if you get a switch chip you can select different types of tunes you put on the car. EXAMPLES: Valet, Wife/Girlfriend ect., with/without water methanol.

Before you buy the on3 kit I would suggest getting Ponydowns kit. I like the price of the on3 kit and so far it's been OK but unless flip the headers, the kit runs over the A-arms and I absolutely hated the fact that you don't have the full turn radius of your wheels. I ended up reworking my entire kit but that was just me.

I hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
and unless they've changed something recently your gonna need a k member spacer with the upr k member or the hot pipe will hit/rub the bar where the a arm mounts are on the k member

·
Registered
376 Posts
I've been thinking about the on3 setup a bit now too. For the price it seems like a steal.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts