Modded Mustang Forums banner

Turbo (Fantasy) Questions

682 views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  whtpny 
#1 · (Edited)
My goal with the turbo would have to be somewhere between 375 and 500 rwhp (depending on my mood for the boost that day, haha). Post color coded for those with a short attention span :D

Yeah.. I change my mind more than some change underwear, but I've got a few questions I'd like to ask to clear up some things. First off, I plan to go with the Hellion single turbo kit. I don't understand all of the jargon yet so my question is..
Is the piping in the kit 3"? I'm wondering because if so, I figured I could benefit with a 3" exhaust all the way from the Y-pipe that Hellion supplies.
My second question is (and I've read chris' thread about turbo muffler) what is a good choice for a muffler. I've got suggestions of the Dynomax ultraflow and bullet as well as flowmaster race muffler. I'm trying to see all my options, because I want to choose something that is not just loud but something that also has a great tone to it.
My third question is also on the topic of exhaust. Is there any advantage or disadvantage on a turbo setup with dumping the exhaust? I figured it would relieve some back pressure but that velocity shouldn't be an issue due to the turbo. That might be a wrong assumption, though.
My fourth and final question: what affects the turbo lag and how fast it spools? For instance, what are those upgrades that someone who knows turbos would never pass up in a kit?
Thanks and sorry for the long post.

See less See more
#2 ·
the exhaust pipeing is almost all 3" or bigger, the charger pipes arent though, 3" is way too big, would take longer to get boost, less pipe the better, to an extent. the kit is well engineered, they used the pipeing that works best.

honestly with a turbo, i would just come down the midpipe they give you, and put a turn down on it at the end out it, no muffler, the turbo acts as a muffler, and wont be very loud at all without a muffler.

if you do want to go with a fummler though, get a borla race muffler, it sounds AWESOME, then turn it down after that.

with dumping the exhaust sooner the turbo will spool slightly faster.

#3 ·
the exhaust pipeing is almost all 3" or bigger, the charger pipes arent though, 3" is way too big, would take longer to get boost, less pipe the better, to an extent. the kit is well engineered, they used the pipeing that works best.

honestly with a turbo, i would just come down the midpipe they give you, and put a turn down on it at the end out it, no muffler, the turbo acts as a muffler, and wont be very loud at all without a muffler.

if you do want to go with a fummler though, get a borla race muffler, it sounds AWESOME, then turn it down after that.

with dumping the exhaust sooner the turbo will spool slightly faster.
thanks for the input man! about the highlighted part.. i dont understand which pipes are which.. are you saying it would be better to go 2.5" from the Hellion Y?

#5 ·
ok, you have a bunch of turbo pipes, you have exhaust, which dumps the exhuast out of the turbo, which is going to be a 4, or 3.5" downpipe to probably a 3" mid pipe going back, and going to 2.5" to adapt to the stock cat back.

then you have hot side, and cold side pipeing on the charge side, hot side is the piping before the IC, and then the cold side is after the IC to the intake manifold. then on the hellion single you will have a intake pipe with is 4" with a bigass filter which is the turbo air intake pipe that it draws the are in throguh the turbo with to be compressed.

#11 ·
First off you should look at your other available options like HP performance.... (Cheaper Kit)

most kits have a 3"-3.5" Downpipe depending on how it is setup and tuned

most of the charge pipes and the rest of the coldside piping is 2.5" most street kits

as for mufflers, i would run stockers if you dont want loud.

dumping the exhuast makes it spool sooner because of the shorter exhuast and less back pressure

#12 ·
First off you should look at your other available options like HP performance.... (Cheaper Kit)

as for mufflers, i would run stockers if you dont want loud.
i have looked at hp performance's stuff before but it seems like there were some things that swayed me towards hellion as well as i think i remember reading some negative things about hp's tt kit so i figured there might be issues with the single as well

loud isn't really an issue.. i just don't want a loud "noise" with no tone

thanx for the input man, i appreciate it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.