Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I have chimmed in on other threads so i decided i should quit hi jackin threads and start my own. I have tossed around and pretty much decided on the Paxton H.O. that brenspeed sells for $5,000 but after finding a turbo for $4495 that is 100% complete from hp performance and it has me second guessing!

What would be the major difference in between the two? is one safer than the other? I do not know hardly anything about turbos and just know that a lot of people say they wish they would have went that route.. My goals are 425rwhp- 500rwhp (big gap i know) i would be happy anywhere in that range! Also this will be somewhat of a DD, i will have a second car but it is hard to resist driving on a nice day! maybe hit the track up once or twice a year but nothing crazy! thoughts? thanks in advance!

·
Registered
329 Posts
A turbo tends to be easier on internals and gas mileage (except when you are stomping on the gas) Also, the Turbos seem to have a wider torque curve. Check out On3's site if not for the turbo, just for power comparison- cut and paste from On3s website (Turbo Kits for Ford Mustangs) "We did an overlay when we were tuning this car and the On 3 Performance 3v test car on 5psi matched the torque of a KB 3v that was running 10psi. That was more than impressive, half the boost and matching max torque. As far as HP, we made about 65 less rwhp but as stated above, we were only running 5psi. If you do the math, we are making around 22.5 rwhp and 25 rwtq per pound of boost. We should match the KB car’s HP at 8psi and blow the torque out of the water. Both were tuned on the same dyno to leave that variable out." And yes, I have been looking at both options, love the whine of the Super, but love the options that a turbo brings, variable boost, no constant boost, not such a hit on mileage and makes for a more stealth approach. Good luck, either way, I think you will be happy.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have been looking at on 3 and was told you would have to piece it together thats why i like the hp performance, it comes 100% complete, except i do not think it comes with a bap or any fuel pump upgrade.. so i might need to add that on top! i just hear great things about turbos and i like the fact that not everyone has one! plus for the hp and tq it is a lot cheaper, with a lot of room to grow!

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow that is a ton of info! thanks for that!

·
The Constitutionalist
431 Posts
I'm glad you started this thread, I have been recently looking at the on3 turbo kits compared to the saleen blower set-up

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i am just curious about the on3 kits and how complete you can get one, i want to make sure my price doesnt go over 5200, i know most of these turbos you can get for around 4500, and there is a lot of potential! i know i will be happy with whatever but I would like to be really really happy! lol

·
Banned
97 Posts
go turbo, especially on the 3vs they love it. make great power efficiently with a good power curve.
also pick the right turbo and it'll be nasty

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
see thats the thing, i need a 100% complete kit, i do not know enough to put together my own kit.. the hp performance one is nice but it doesnt come with any kind of fuel pump upgrade and they said it wouldnt need it but they expect around 450rwhp... i would assume you would at least need a BAP... anyone?

·
Registered
691 Posts
try emailing hp performance. if you scroll all the way down on the page of their system in the upgrades part they offer a "fuel pump delete" that cuts 75 bucks off. so in my assumption, i would have to say that they include a fuel pump capable of keeping up with their turbo system. a BAP will probably be neccessary tho. i think thats the only thing the hp kit doesnt include.
as far as the on3 kit goes, ive read up alot on em and if you choose to go with them you really do get what you pay for.....i wouldnt trust their own brand turbo, spend the money to upgrade to the masterpower 70mm turbo, its a credible turbo as opposed to their no name one. ive heard the wastegate and BOV are pretty decent tho. as far as the piping goes tho.....ive heard from a local guy that its made of extremely cheap stainless steel and the hotside will crack after a year or two. the routing of the piping behind the headers also hangs very low compared the other kits so if youre lowered at all....youre going to scrape. its a great starting point for a turbo setup, but not only is it not complete, but after a lil while you will have to upgrade your pipes......i hear hellion sells theirs for around $3500

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
where can i catch a hellion one? i know i could google it but people on here seem to know where to find everything the cheapest, if i could have just bought the m90 for 4g i wouldnt have this thread! i know it isnt as much power but it would have gotten me where i want to be eventually, now i am gettin all crazy thinking about turbos!!!! I talked to hp and they said the stock fuel pump will handle it... so it must have some kind of BAP..

·
Registered
371 Posts
that 3500 for the hellion, is for the piping only. If a kit does not come with a fuel system is it still considered a complete kit? I thought it was considered a tuner kit?

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
if you're looking for used parts s197forum.com has one of the best classified sections imo

·
Your Resident Badass
4,199 Posts
Im starting to wonder if I should go turbo myself. I was getting really interested in TVS, but nowwww idk. :shiftyeyes

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah a tuner kit, i just seem like i dont know enough about a turbo to dive in, it is the unknown! haha...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts