Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i just saw a few turbo kits on ebay with t3/4 turbo setups and full intercooling piping..these kits are only running around 1200$ this seems way to cheap for a legit setup. Input?

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
I would say stay the hell away from ebay turbos. I haven't used one myself, but I've heard nothing but bad things. Take that for what it's worth.

Ebay kits are typically foreign produced with low quality materials, resulting in a shoddy product. Yes it will work, but the question is how reliable will it be, and for how long? Turbochargers are extremely precision pieces of machinery, not something you want a cheap Chinese knock off of. Keep in mind they can do serious damage in the event of a failure.

Though the reviews on on3 kits have been mixed, they are a substantial step up from ebay. Even better is the HP and Hellion kits, but they're much more expensive.

And keep in mind it's unlikely these kits have all the supporting modifications, such as tubular K-frame, injectors, MAF, etc...

Last thing: This is something that bugs the hell out of me-

You are NOT M.C. Hammer, and "legit" is not a word.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Definitely look into the On3 Kit. It is a great deal for the price.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what about just running an intercooler kit from ebay but picking up a higher quality turbo and how are these on3 kits comparable to the ebay kits??

·
Registered
890 Posts
....... Don't go any where near eBay just stay away. Because the people don care about what ever crap they sell you. If yourgoing to buy things from eBay make sure they are non important supporting modds lol

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
....... Don't go any where near eBay just stay away. Because the people don care about what ever crap they sell you. If yourgoing to buy things from eBay make sure they are non important supporting modds lol
:yes

In all the things I've learned in my time, buy quality parts and do things right the first time. This is especially when they're important parts for a very expensive vehicle.

Long story short; buy quality, not ebay.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i just need a rough estimate on a price for on3 kit with whatever supporting parts/mods/tune whatever needs to be done for a full reliable setup

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
go to there website

·
Registered
186 Posts
I would say stay the hell away from ebay turbos. I haven't used one myself, but I've heard nothing but bad things. Take that for what it's worth.

Ebay kits are typically foreign produced with low quality materials, resulting in a shoddy product. Yes it will work, but the question is how reliable will it be, and for how long? Turbochargers are extremely precision pieces of machinery, not something you want a cheap Chinese knock off of. Keep in mind they can do serious damage in the event of a failure.

Though the reviews on on3 kits have been mixed, they are a substantial step up from ebay. Even better is the HP and Hellion kits, but they're much more expensive.

And keep in mind it's unlikely these kits have all the supporting modifications, such as tubular K-frame, injectors, MAF, etc...

Last thing: This is something that bugs the hell out of me-

You are NOT M.C. Hammer, and "legit" is not a word.
:funnah What he said.. And....

World English Dictionary
legit (lɪˈdʒɪt)

— adj
1. short for legitimate

— n
2. legitimate or professionally respectable drama

Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 10th Edition
2009 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins
Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009
Cite This Source
Word Origin & History

legit
colloquial shortening of legitimate, 1897, originally in theater, in reference to legitimate drama , that which has literary merit (Shakespeare, etc.).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
Cite This Source
Slang Dictionary

legit definition
[ləˈdʒɪt]
mod.
honest; legal. (From legitimate.) : If she's not legit, I won't work with her.
Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions by Richard A. Spears.Fourth Edition.
Copyright 2007. Published by McGraw Hill.
Cite This Source
Abbreviations & Acronyms
legit
legitimate
The American Heritage® Abbreviations Dictionary, Third Edition
Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
Cite This Source

I sure as hell never knew it wasn't a word. Major reps for being able to use MC Hammer's name in a mustang forum. :cool:

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
:funnah What he said.. And....

World English Dictionary
legit (lɪˈdʒɪt)

— adj
1. short for legitimate

— n
2. legitimate or professionally respectable drama

Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 10th Edition
2009 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins
Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009
Cite This Source
Word Origin & History

legit
colloquial shortening of legitimate, 1897, originally in theater, in reference to legitimate drama , that which has literary merit (Shakespeare, etc.).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
Cite This Source
Slang Dictionary

legit definition
[ləˈdʒɪt]
mod.
honest; legal. (From legitimate.) : If she's not legit, I won't work with her.
Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions by Richard A. Spears.Fourth Edition.
Copyright 2007. Published by McGraw Hill.
Cite This Source
Abbreviations & Acronyms
legit
legitimate
The American Heritage® Abbreviations Dictionary, Third Edition
Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
Cite This Source

I sure as hell never knew it wasn't a word. Major reps for being able to use MC Hammer's name in a mustang forum. :cool:
I'm curious as to when the word "legit" was added to most dictionaries. After all, words such as "McJob" and "Bootylicious" are technically in the dictionary.
And as far as Shakespeare, though everyone regards him in high esteem, he was known to play rather fast and loose with the English language.

Either way, when I hear people say things like "legit" or "conversate" I want to strangle them on the spot.

STOP!

...HAMMER TIME!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Speaking of MC hammer, he lives in my town Tracy, CA haha. He drives an orange challenger. I played baseball with his son.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yeah just like when they added "ain't" to the dictionary... Really grinds my gears. So I feel you on the conversate (converse) and legit (legitimate)

I didn't mean to jack the thread. Sorry OP.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
You actually have to click the order now button one the On3 site to see the price of the kit. Tricky tricky.

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
oh jeez this is stressing me out
Welcome to the world of cars. :)

If you're not stressing, you're not making enough power.

And I highly reccommend selecting the option for the upgraded turbocharger for the on3 kit, I think it's stepping up to a Precision brand. Turbochargers are very much a part where you get what you pay for, and a little up front will save you a lot down the road.

Also previous reviews cited on3 for having the occasional fitment or weld issue, though it appears it has improved in recent years. Personally I would expect most kits to require some adjusting, and I'm not one to mind some welding. Not to deter you, but keep in mind a turbo is not a simple bolt on affair like a CAI, TB, or plenum.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Wicked is right. The On3 Kit fits with a tubular K member. So the word 'cheap' is not necessarily used near the word turbos.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts