Modded Mustang Forums banner

turbo or charger? or what else?

2K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  ESG-642T 
#1 ·
i got a 2000 ford mustang
bot 108xxx miles on it
i got 20s rite now but i am gonna put 18s soon
i have intake and delta 40s thats it
i wanna make this car faster any ideas on a turbo or a supercharger?
i was thinkin bout a swap but its too much
so help me out cuz ima car person but dont know bout the engine that much
thnks

#9 ·
LOL

any power adder he puts on there will smoke a factory GT. and if it's a turbo or centrifical it will smoke modded N/A GT's. the 3v GT's are the exception.

Personally if you are mechanically savy get a turbo kit. If not so much, get a centrifical.

Your internals are good til 350rwhp with a good tune. so if you get a turbo the 330rwhp range is a good safe place. With this power though you'll need T-lock for traction, subframe connectors for frame, and fuel mods like fuel pump and injectors to feed the power.

#10 ·
for that money a turbo and supporting mods can be done. this would rape a GT motor. You have to realize that when these v6 motors are forged they can take just about whatever power level you want. we are near 700rwhp now on stock block and this is at around 20psi or less. Why swap a motor in that would need the same upgrades in if he went blown?

and if he is doing a swap don't settle for a GT motor. Last guy who did that spent a lot of money and is in the 250rwhp range with his 2v 4.6L. A procharger kit on the 3.8L and bolt-ons will get 300+rwhp.

#12 · (Edited)
If you go off of worth of a car youll never do anything. And doing a swap would be the same boat. It won't make the car worth more. And a high HP 3.8L is unique.

Like i say time and time again. People praise supras and GN's to death and this motor is based closely after a GN motor. People say ours isn't worth modding, but the GN is. Doesn't make sense. Our motors make more power with less boost and smaller turbos. Tranny holds 350rwtq and the rear is holding fine at my power level so far, lucky or not.

The main thing is boost or go home. Same goes with any ford motor. If you want N/A go for a LSx motor.

#14 ·
That isn't a bad idea ever. Taking this route however myself, I have noticed that if I could have done it again I would have gone straight for the procharger and supporting mods and be riding with 300rwhp while I save for the intakes, head, cam, etc.

Either way you get there though is just personal preference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.