Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting the 99-04 5 speed single turbo kit off turbomustangs.com. I have a 2003 Mustang GT, its all stock as far as performance goes and i was wondering if i was to get the turbo kit if i would need to get different pistons and a whole bunch of other stuff. Or do u bolt on the kit and go? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanx in advance.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I heard that for a V8, the twin turbo is muuuuch more efficient since the exhaust is split, 4 cylinders into one manifold and 4 cylinders into the other, you need two turbos to get the full boost. Single turbo you'll only get half of what you could get. I dunno if you already knew that. Just trying to help. Being active. lol

·
Registered
105 Posts
but no, I cant answer your question about getting new pistons etc... sorry.

·
Registered
10,512 Posts
dont listen to anything either one of them said. you can make just as much power with a single turbo as your can with a twin turbos. that thing he said about not getting full boost is just wrong, you will not get full boost as early but you will still get full boost. when i was looking into turbos i found with the the hp twins id be at full boost at around 3300 rpms and with a big single t-76 turbo, id be at full boost around 4000 rpms.

as for needing new rods and pistons, it is not mandatory yet. your not going to be able to take advantage of what the turbo is going to do for you over what a supercharger will do becasue you wont be able to run the turbos to their full potential. stock shortblocks are okay for a little boost but once you get up over 400 rwhp, your really putting some pressure on the rods and pistons and they will eventually give out. now if you keep things tame and keep the boost down low and have a good tune, youll be allright for a long time. thats why i woudl suggest a supercharger for your application becuase the turbos are much more expenive, nd youll never be able to tkae advantage of having them without a built short block.

if you were to rebuild, your going to need forged h-beam rods, and forged pistons that have a big dish in them to lower the compression. with boost you want your compression to be anywhere from 8.0:1-9.5:1 but the lower the better for a lot of boost.

also think about having your heads ported, and getting some blower or some turbo cams

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, so if i go single turbo i can pretty much bolt it on and go (other than tuning). and my stock engine and components should be good ?

·
Registered
10,512 Posts
well theyll be good for a little bit but if you get greedy with it. i sitll think unless you planning on building the bottom end is to just throw on a supercharger and call it a day, theres more o it than just bolting on and going. there are a lot of little things you need to worry about, like fuel issues and you will have fuel issues cuz the stock stuff isnt gonna support a ton of power. there are a little things that will pop up that will get you. the bottem end can hold about a 400-450 hp but when you get around there, its not gonna last for ever

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
handyandy said:
I heard that for a V8, the twin turbo is muuuuch more efficient since the exhaust is split, 4 cylinders into one manifold and 4 cylinders into the other, you need two turbos to get the full boost. Single turbo you'll only get half of what you could get. I dunno if you already knew that. Just trying to help. Being active. lol
you cant be serious. did you just make that up? you need to do some research before posting an answer like that.

·
Achieving more N/A power!
3,156 Posts
ahaha I freaking love it!!!

:funnah :funnah :funnah

·
Registered
589 Posts
You will need higher pressure injectors, svt focus fuel pump, probably a tubular k member. It depends on the kit. Do your research. You should stick with about 6-9 psi if you want your motor to last. That will put you pretty close to 400 hp if you get a good tune.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts

Lol i hope ur not serious.. Please if ur not sure dont reply not trying to be mean or anything just trying to save you from getting flamed in the future..

·
Registered
3,522 Posts

·
MM elder
9,751 Posts
demello:lmao:lmao now thats some funny ****

·
MM elder
9,751 Posts
WTF? :confused:

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts