Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have seen that the really dont make a generic turbo manifold for the 3.8 and all kits are stupidly overpriced at like 4 grand so has anybody tried flipping the stock headers and making a crossover pipe from them? if you have post some pics

·
Premium Member
14,581 Posts
i have seen that the really dont make a generic turbo manifold for the 3.8 and all kits are stupidly overpriced at like 4 grand so has anybody tried flipping the stock headers and making a crossover pipe from them? if you have post some pics
thats bc nobody makes a kit for our cars except for TMA, but andy has stopped making kits. you can go on tmaturbo.com to get an idea for how one can be fabbed up though. just to let you know, you will end up spending around 4k if you arent doing the work yourself.

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
lol whats stupidly over priced to you? you think you're going to get a good new turbo kit for under $4k with everything for a V motor...lol here try ebay that stuff will last long

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
you will end up spending around 4k if you arent doing the work yourself.
What would you end up spending if you did it all your self, like fabbed all of the manifolding and welded it your self, along with all the plumbing?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
It depends what you want to run...you could probably piece together a kit for $1500 if you find the fuel upgrades cheap. Unless you want to stay at I think 4.4 psi where you don't need fuel upgrades, around $1000. Then you have to tune.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
ok, I was all jc. I do not have the tools necessary, but i was jc. That makes sense tho. Obviously if you want to make more power and with tuning it will cost more.

·
Premium Member
14,581 Posts
ok, I was all jc. I do not have the tools necessary, but i was jc. That makes sense tho. Obviously if you want to make more power and with tuning it will cost more.
id say the cheapest you could do it yourself generally would be around 3k total price when its all said and done without cheaping out on parts

·
Registered
150 Posts
....lol here try ebay that stuff will last long

No joke. I know it was for a ricer but I had a co-worker that bought this whole kit off ebay for something like $1100 and it lasted about 2 months. Everything in the kit was cheap and nothing fit. Everything needed to be modified to fit and after the modifications it still fit like ass.

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
ebay manifolds crack, leak, wastegates are garabge, BOVs match the kit(shitty) lol and the turbo, well once you buy the kit get ready to have a turbo rebuild shop on speed dial

you want something that'll last and perform good
Garret Precision turbo
Tial wastegate
Tial BOV
your already looking at over $1000 easily and you'll still need the exhaust,
hot side intercooler piping
, cold side piping, intercooler,
exhaust manifolds and cross over pipe
oil return and feed fittings
oil return and feed lines
V-bands for the hot side pipes
couplings and clamps for the cold side
misc vacuum hoses and fittings and clamps
if your smart, wideband, boost gauge at least
welding for the exhaust
muffler because open dump is to loud to DD

lol hey we havent even touched fuel yet or the stuff that'll break

anything over 4.4 psi-fuel injectors and a MAF plus tuning
anything over 6-7psi a fuel pump plus tuning of course
what will break now?!
with 300whp you'll break your stock diff probably even on the street.
you'll break the stock diff at just 4psi at the track if you drive like any kind of man at all

a ford racing posi will break with a manual tranny probably once you peak over 300whp at the track
the t5 tranny input shaft has been known to start twisting with as little as 300whp...you might be good to 330whp but i blew my tranny and twisted the input shaft with just 313rwhp. running only 13.1...blew the pass right after

·
Premium Member
14,581 Posts
have to agree. its just not possible to build anything decent under $1500 like you say, and no we are not brainwashed, its just the truth.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
i am not going to get a turbo, or say im gonna like everyone else on here, I really was jc how much the kits cost if you make them yourself.

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
Its really not even about the cost its what you're getting. While your searching your parts you'll see a $900 turbo and say wow $900 just for a turbo?! when you go to ebay they have a $300 turbo same size no name.
Waste gate Tial-$300! what no way ebay has it for $40-50
BOV-Tial $280-300! ebay $50..
you start seeing how just getting things here and there cheap you'll save sooo much money....at that time

You're looking at probably $200-400 in quality steel piping, welding material, flanges.
Intercooler piping sure you can get universal thats hard to mess up.

pricing
Good turbo-stock motor ----$650-1500(ball bearing gets expensive, personally i find it waste)
Tial wastegate---only one i like and trust. best name in boost-$300 i believe
Tial BOV--thats like $289
cold side piping,----this varies, id go aluminum with rolled tips-$100-300
intercooler-also varies, i personally run a Precision intercooler (750rated)-$450(600hp)-$350
exhaust manifolds and cross over pipe-varies depending on quality
oil return and feed fittings-summit has these-$50-80 total
oil return and feed lines---$50
V-bands for the hot side pipes--also varies
couplings and clamps for the cold side---$100 for T-bolt and good couplings
misc vacuum hoses and fittings and clamps--$50+
if your smart, wideband, boost gauge at least---$400+
welding for the exhaust---varies
muffler because open dump is to loud to DD--my muffler was $100

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
dang man you took some time. i see how it adds up. thats crazy. i understand you on the quality. why not do it right the first time and have it last.

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
exactly
Also do it right. I bought a kit and I cant tell you the crap the went wrong
There were things I had to relocate, battery wire, fan, brake line, and other crap

when i first put it on, i didnt want to relocate the battery wire for some stupid reason
it fried against my exhaust pipe. had to replace that.
Didnt want to buy O2sensor extenders...i did my own wiring when i didnt know as much and it never worked right.
there were other things but i dont remember. Take the time and do things right. anything close to the hot pipes needs to be AWAY. I've also ruined a set of MSD wires...well just one but still

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
dang man you took some time. i see how it adds up. thats crazy. i understand you on the quality. why not do it right the first time and have it last.
I have a friend that peiced together a quality kit on his gt for around 1800 over the course of a year. Have another friend with a blown t-trim fox and he has his life savings in the car.
The deals are out there you just have to know where to look. Here is a tip...register on as many turbo forums as you can such as evo,dsm,srt4,ls1,corral,honda,and other peformance car forums and search the classifieds daily. Search craigslist and ebay.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
alright. I dont know why im asking so many questions since i do not have near the money to piece together a kit. i guess maybe it was just out of curiosity.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts