Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as some of you know, I own a dyno and do quite a bit of tuning so I see a lot of different combos. I recently had a stock block, upgraded rods and pistons, prob a girdle, holley heads and intake with unknown camshaft come in for a tune. He was having boost control issues and was wanting an E85 tune. I sold him a set of ID1050x injectors and he put them in and car started right up on E85. It was a tad rich but ran. I got it on the dyno and pulled the tune, started my modifications and started making pulls. We had trouble with RFI causing the dyno electronics to **** down, so getting a full pull was tough. I finally fixed the tune enough to get the fuel and spark under control but we were still seeing a little too much boost. We made a pull that actually pulled to 5800 and this thing made 698!!!! And lived!!!. He's in the process of figuring out his boost controller because we want around 14 psi, as he was making 20. Lol. He's fired up now, ready to see 550 or so at the wheels once we get it finished up. This is the second stock block car I've gotten in the upper 600's. The first one was still alivemonths after it came off the dyno. It was street raced extensively. I have a feeling this one will be too. Just wanted to share as this place seems dead.

·
Registered
990 Posts
That's pretty impressive. Good job , tune must have been right not to blow sky high.

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No block fill. Lucky is what it was. I am retuning it again this weekend. He is removing the boost controller so we are hoping to get it in the 500 rwhp range. Be interesting to see how long it lasts. He just bought a dart shortblock for it so I don't know what his plan is so far.

·
Rent Asunder!
11,806 Posts
Reminds me of my dad when I was 14 or so. He had a built 408 ready to replace the worn out 302 in his '82 four eyed fox and wanted to see how much abuse the stock 302 would take before exploding. We started with a .068 jet on the plate kit and just kept going up every couple passes. I can't remember where he ended up on the jetting when it finally let loose but it ripped off a 6.31 @ 106mph tripping the 1/8th mile beams in a plume of smoke and oil slick. We found the #2 rod laying near the 1,000ft mark and the remnants of the #2 piston left dents in the bottom of the oil pan.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
hey NX I have a question for you. I built a 331 stroker a couple years ago with the intent of adding a supercharger later. well I bought the supercharger and now I am figuring out all the other stuff I need. it will be a vortech si series running 8-10 pounds boost. my question is, I am trying to figure out what to do with the pcv system. on my carbureted engine I had both valve covers vented on this build I liked the look of the chrome stock valve covers and I was not thinking about the supercharger when I bought them. so is it necessary to vent both valve covers if I put a turbo coupe check valve in the pcv line, and if it is necessary do you know of a relatively easy way to vent the stock drivers side valve cover. or am I going to end up having to replace my valve covers. sorry to hijack your thread, but like you said this place is dead.

·
Qwik Enuff
773 Posts
The configuration Ive seen some guys run,with a supercharger,is as follows.
1) remove the pcv valve hose from the valve & intake then cap the intake port
2) replace the pcv valve with a supercharged pcv valve Part #-
& leave its port open to atmosphere
3) replace the stock oil fill cap with a breather cap
4) remove the breather tube from the throttle body & oil filler neck port then cap both ports
5) add a breather to the corner of the driver valve cover.A hole has to be cut & a baffle has to be built & welded in the driver valve cover if using a second breather.

The link below details modifications you can do on a supercharged setup.
PCV Modifications and Upper Intake Oil Control

1 - 8 of 8 Posts