Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It started earlier today I had been driving about and hour got home and cut off my car. I came back out about 20 minutes later to head out. I opened my car and the dome light was on. I turned the key no click or turnover and all power inside the car went out. I popped the hood took the batt cable off and put it back on. The dome lights came back on inside the car. I turned the key, got one click and power inside the car shut off, no turn over. Then I got the Idea it could be a dead battery so I hooked some jumper cables. While the care was hook up I could turn the key and get the clicking sound and a small weak rrrrrrrr where it was barely trying to turn over. Just to make sure I took the Battery to a local Auto store and they checked it all. The test came back all good fully charged pushing good ampage. He told me its possible it could be the starter. What do you all believe is causing the problem. The battery is 1.5 years only and the alternator is about 1 year old in the car. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
sounds like the starter

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
I had a problem with my car that sounds similar to yours. Car would only click, horn wouldn't even blow. It was a few weeks ago. The battery terminals on my cables had just simply gone bad.. I replaced them with some good ones from autozone.. The non-painted kind.. and haven't had a problem since. If your terminals on ur cables look pretty ragid maybe u should give it a try also. good luck.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Same exact thing happened to me a few months ago! I turned the key on, everything lit up, turned the key, bam, everything dead. The radio wouldn't come on, no lights, nothing. Freaked me out. I threw the charger on it for a half hour or so, and it ran perfectly.

Happened only once, a few months ago, and has ran perfectly since. No slow cranking, no dim interior or exterior lights. Dunno what it was.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright so I pulled the starter and tested and it came back fine. After that I was convinced it was a short so I spent awhile with a multimeter testing everything I could and comparing to the specs and everything checked out. I started running by pass wires around things trying to get it to go. Finally i unhooked the always hot wire that runs from the batt terminal straight to the starter and hooked up a jumper cable in place and bam it fired up. So I went out and got a new 4 gauge cable and ran it and hooked it up and nothing still having the problem. After a while of playing with that I got it where if you unhook the starter wire from that terminal and hook up jumpers from that and hook them to the terminal it will fire. but if you unhook the jumper and put the wire back on the terminal nothing. Why would the car fire if the wire is bridged by jumper cables as opposed to being directly connected? its nothing with the terminal cause it got replaced when i got he new wire.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
It could be the contact area of the starter? I had this problem but it was the battery cable needs to be jiggled then it's all good, which you already tested for. That's weird man electrical issues are the worst.

·
Registered
319 Posts
mine did the same thing but mine ended up being a starter. then a week later it started doing the same thing and it ended up that the ground cable that runs from the battery to the engine block had corroded from the inside out and wasnt making connection

1 - 7 of 7 Posts