Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To start off, I've already pulled the timing cover, valve covers, plugged the oil galley holes and now I'm at a point where I'd like to put the engine TDC to start on springs, cams, etc...

However, my questions come with using the crank pulley bolt to do so. 1: should I add more washers so it doesn't bottom out? 2: should I use a new one or can I re-use the old one (I think they're TTY which makes me nervous). 3: with the vehicle in neutral (TR-3650) could the engine be turned with only the front wheels off of the deck? 4: how easy should I able to rotate it, as in, how much effort should it take?

The reason I asked is because I've had a crank pulley bolt snap on me while it was in the crank and these things scare me. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
The crank bolt is not TTY, the shop manual makes no mention of it's not being reusable--they always do if it's recommended. Stacking washers or using a spacer to prevent the bolt from bottoming out is always recommended.

As 'Sweet2k...' said above it will turn quite easily with the plugs out...

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks gents!!! I don't know what I'd do without this forum. Also, plenty more dumb questions to come. Cams now, supercharger next week!

·
Registered
849 Posts
Personal suggestion after seeing many of these broken, even with washers under the bolt:

Buy the right tool for the job. My mind is fried from sleep deprevation, but they do make sockets that engage the keyway meant specifically for turning over engines - you use an open end wrench or a breaker bar for them. It saves plenty of headaches later down the road when the metal fatigues, gets slightly more brittle, and snaps.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Do not turn the engine over with the cam followers out!

These are interference engines; at best you won't be able to turn it over with the followers out, at the worst you will bend a valve or damage as piston.
Cliffy, if the followers are out the valves won't open................... even with cams in place along with lash adjusters, no follower for the lobe to ride on and actuate the valve. Maybe that was a typo on your part. These definitely are interference motors and will quickly bend a valve with ptv interference.

When I set initial cam timing I do it with followers removed, phase the crank/cams then install followers to check lift.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Cliffy, if the followers are out the valves won't open................... even with cams in place along with lash adjusters, no follower for the lobe to ride on and actuate the valve. Maybe that was a typo on your part. These definitely are interference motors and will quickly bend a valve with ptv interference.

When I set initial cam timing I do it with followers removed, phase the crank/cams then install followers to check lift.
Yup, brain fart there, to much pain medication...

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Now go give your engine a hand job. :tomato

1 - 9 of 9 Posts