Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone running nitrous on a twin screw blower?

I'm thinking of putting it on my Whipple setup but am clueless about nitrous systems. If you've done it, what system did you use? Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I have a zex system, it came with the car when I purchased it. I think you may have better results with a plate system however. Make sure it's a wet kit, just means it throws fuel and nitrous together. Dry Kits will require the tune to run extremely rich at all times, Where as the wet kit handles the fuel demand on the fly.

You will need to make sure you have some fuel pump left to support the nitrous. As for tuning it's fairly easy to accomplish with just pulling timing when using the wet kit.

You will also need a window switch to keep the car from spraying under 3,000 rpm's and have it shutting off before red line for motor safety.

Nitrous is safe when done right with a wet kit, window switch, and a tune. You will need a bottle heater as well but I'm sure you knew that. Also take a look at NANO systems which is Nitrogen Assisted Nitrous Oxide which gives you a perfect hit every time without the need of a heating element.
Nano: Nitrous on Steroids!

Plate System, Window Switch, and Heater/NANO and your good to go.

Almost forgot, since you use a WOT box, I believe they make a secondary controller just for nitrous use, which works as a window switch and still allows the WOT box to operate safely by cutting your nitrous as well. You'd probably want to run what they suggest over a normal window switch.

·
The Despised Vert
3,557 Posts
FordEvan,do you have your build listed anywhere? I am going to keep an eye on this thread because I am doing a "refresh" in Jan-March and this might be an option for me.. I think the Cams alone will get me into the 10's but more power is always better!!

·
FBGM
6,177 Posts
Im wondering would you spray it before the lobes or after?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info SirShaun - will look into the Nano system. A friend of mine uses that on his F-body. I just installed a return style fuel system so should have plenty of pump. Oh, I keep saying WOT box :) but I have an MSD 2-step on it. Dunno why I keep calling it a Wot box. Definitely have to figure out controlling spray when on the two-step.

2006GreyGT - I never did a build thread. I keep a blog at Levi Taylor's Blog that is mostly about the car, though. There's a link to build pictures on it. I will do an entry soon though with all the details in it. I have the Comp 127-450 cams and I think they're a big reason I'm getting great trap speeds.

kmac - the general consensus I've found is spray before the blower with a dry kit.

·
Registered
131 Posts
kmac - the general consensus I've found is spray before the blower with a dry kit.
Glad you brought this topic up. I'm limited by my 2.3 Saleen s/c and have been reading up on this myself. What I've read a few times is that because we're running twin screws, we'll get net a 1.5x increase in the net gain. Basically, a 50 shot of nitrous is actually going to result in a 75 hp increase (+/- a few).

What I haven't see yet is the downside...why aren't more people doing it?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad you brought this topic up. I'm limited by my 2.3 Saleen s/c and have been reading up on this myself. What I've read a few times is that because we're running twin screws, we'll get net a 1.5x increase in the net gain. Basically, a 50 shot of nitrous is actually going to result in a 75 hp increase (+/- a few).

What I haven't see yet is the downside...why aren't more people doing it?
Yep, I've been told the same thing - 1.5-2x the hp rating for the shot you are running. I've been told a dry shot through the blower is the best way to do it so am leaning that way at the moment.

I need to investigate the tuning requirements for that. Everything that happens is pretty much based off of engine load so I assume as long as I scale my spark tables correctly I'll be good to go. The fuel is going to stay at whatever AFR I tell it to (as long as the maf is dialed in).

·
Registered
131 Posts
I need to investigate the tuning requirements for that. Everything that happens is pretty much based off of engine load so I assume as long as I scale my spark tables correctly I'll be good to go. The fuel is going to stay at whatever AFR I tell it to (as long as the maf is dialed in).
Keep us updated with how it works for you. I'm going with forged internals over the winter and am looking at doing this next summer after I've broken it in.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Personally I would put it after the blower because if I were to do it would be to lower IAT's in the summer. I live in Vegas and ambient air temp at the road can be as high as 130* pretty easily. If it were me I would run a small shot and jet it to spray right onto the intercooler. But that's me and I can be a little odd.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts