Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone break it down on all the different types of cams like hydraulic roller and flat tappet and mechanical and all of it......and what advantages each has..... like i know you have hydraulic roller and solid roller also......help me out guys

·
Registered
559 Posts
Hyd flat tappet run of the mill junk
Solid falt tappet a bit better than run of the mill
Hyd roller much better
Solid roller the best

·
Registered
72 Posts
What I'm sure woody is trying to say is, hydraulic flat tappets are what the majority of cars (with pushrod engines) come with stock. They actually use oil to "pump" up the lifter, taking out the "slack" and that makes them zero lash-no gap between the pushrod and rocker arm. They can, and do, tend to float valves when they run out of oil, as there becomes slack in the system- not pretty.

Solid lifters are just that, a solid piece, no "give" like a hyd. YOU have to set the lash, then keep rechecking it. The nice thing about them is they are constant- no give.

Rollers reduce friction, and have less surface area to them on the cam, which lets you use a more aggressive profile- more power.

I wouldn't go as far as saying hyd. flat tappets are junk- they've been in use forever. They just aren't as aggressive as rollers.

Jay

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so you said the solid roller you have to check their adjustment every now and again

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've never had one, but I would guess yes.

One thing I also forgot to mention was single/dual pattern cams. Single means just that, it's the same pattern intake and exhaust, while dual pattern as a separate profile for intake and exhaust. Singles are usually less $$$, but performance shows it.

Jay

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Hyd flat tappet run of the mill junk
Solid falt tappet a bit better than run of the mill
Hyd roller much better
Solid roller the best
Simple and to the point. I wouldnt hesitate to run a solid roller on the street. Ive never done so, but after some research and feedback from people who do, and have... im not willing to pass up awesome power just because im afraid to adjust the lash once or twice a year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts