Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My suspension currently consists of Bilstein shocks/struts, BMR springs, BMR rear LCAs, brackets, and panhard bar. I need an adjustable upper control arm not to tweek my pinion angle, and will be getting the BMR piece.

Question is, do I want the new mount or not, and why?

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Gobble, Gobble, *******,
Not that I have done it, but I would suggest it. I look at that piece as one of the weak links in my suspension right now. Plus if you don't get the Steeda sleeve thingy that takes the play out of the bolt back there, you may get some clunking. I do. I believe the aftermarket ones have the correct size hole for that bolt. I know BMR has the correct size hole. If you pick one up, pick one up for me buddy. I could use one but it's just not that high on my list right now.

·
The Despised Vert
3,559 Posts
I got it when I bought mine... I want to remain clunk free.. it is also a bit stronger and very easy to install at the same time as the UCA

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought I read somewhere that you have to lower the gas tank to install it. Is that true?

·
Premium Member
22,436 Posts
I'd recommend the mount or at the very least buying Steedas UCA since it already comes with the right stepped spacer. Steeda does sell the stepped spacer separately though. I believe it's $9 on their website.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that you have to lower the gas tank to install it. Is that true?
If you're not changing the mount you need to either drop the tank or unbolt the mount part way so you can swing it around because you need clearance for the long mounting bolt. But, if you are replacing the mount you can preassemble the UCA to the mount on your work bench before putting it on the car and then you don't have to drop the tank because now you don't need the clearance for that bolt. It is almost easier to change them both out at the same time rather than just putting in the UCA with the stock mount. I didn't know any better when I put mine in. If I knew what I know now, I would have got an aftermarked mount at the same time. It just makes too much sense not to. Trust me, get the mount now, you won't be sorry. I've never steered you wrong *******.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm. Makes sense. So then the bolt that is under the rear seat is a bolt that goes DOWN into the mount, not a nut on a stud? Because looking at pictures, the only reason I could see the tank needing to come out would be if it were a stud and you needed the clearance to pull the mount down out of the hole. If it is a bolt, then the mount looks like it would slide right back and out easy as pie.

In any event, I'd rather do it right the first time. So I will be ordering the mount and the arm soon. Then it is time for a one piece shaft, and no more vibration. Muhahaha.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Actually it is the bolt that mounts the UCA to the mount that has the clearance issues. It goes from left to right and you can't take it out because it hits the gas tank. You can get around dropping the tank by loosening and swiveling the entire mount so the bolt will clear the tank. But now that you have decided to get the mount too, you won't have this issue. Connect the UCA to the mount before installing the mount in the car and you won't need the clearance for it.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wonder why the BMR instructions say that it is "impossible to install the mount without dropping the gas tank".

I guess I'll figure it out. If I have to drop the tank, then it is what it is. But I really doubt I will.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
I wonder why the BMR instructions say that it is "impossible to install the mount without dropping the gas tank".

I guess I'll figure it out. If I have to drop the tank, then it is what it is. But I really doubt I will.
You know I could be wrong. It's been a while since I was under there and maybe there is something that I am not thinking of. I know BMR said I had to drop the tank to replace just the UCA but I found a way around it. It's about time to lube the suspension so I will take a look in the next couple of days to check it out and report back.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts

·
Registered
13,629 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,436 Posts
He won't need them if he gets the BMR mount. It comes with the right size hole.
I know that's what I said..

I'd recommend the mount or at the very least buying Steedas UCA since it already comes with the right stepped spacer. Steeda does sell the stepped spacer separately though. I believe it's $9 on their website.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.