Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, my first post.

I have been lingering here for awhile but I would like to hear your thoughts concerning under drive pulley's. I have searched the site but I have not read what concerns me. I am in Northern Minnesota, in a small town (Grand Rapids). In the summer it does get warm here. Sometimes in the 90's. Global warming?! I just ordered the Meziere electric water pump from Brenspeed and am thinking I should get the the Steeda UDP crank pulley. I believe Brenspeed is a good company but they are in the business of selling parts. I like the idea of more efficiency and more power but I do not want to lose the efficiency of my A/C. I can get a better price of buying the crank pulley with the Meziere.

Does anyone have any takes on this setup? Would like to hear your thoughts. I need to upgrade my order tomorrow (2/5/08)
if this is going to happen.

Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've been thinking of under drive pulleys also but I've seen several posts on different boards of people's before and after dyno numbers and they've typically been in the 3 hp range. I dunno, sore back from getting balancer off and a couple hundred bucks to gain a lousy 3 hp I'm not convinced it's a good mod.
As for the electric water pump. If you're at the track alot it would be great for cooling your engine down between runs. Otherwise I'm not convinced. Basically what's happening by using an electric water pump is that you're taking mechanical energy, converting it to electrical energy and back to mechanical energy again. Any time energy is converted there is a loss. The stock pump uses the mechanical energy directly without converting it to another form and back again.
I would love to see someone's dyno results showing a hp increase from this mod but I've yet to see that so I'm only convinced that the electric pump is just a way to lighten your wallet.
Also if you're considering adding UDPs and the electric water pump remember that at low engine speeds the UDPs will reduce alternator output, add the additional current draw of the electric water pump and you could have charging system problems at low speeds such as in slow traffic with the a/c on , ect.
Probably the only way to know for sure is to hear from someone who has this particular combo, ask them about their driving habits and such. It would probably work of for someone who does mostly freeway driving but for someone who does a lot of stop and go, idling in traffic ect, it could be trouble.
just my two cents

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Change of mind...

Thanks for your replies.

I have abandoned the CAI and electric water pump for now. I always wanted the Saleen S/C as my initial mod but was stalled with the idea that I would lose my warranty (I have an '08 GT w/3,500 miles).

I spoke with Dave at Brenspeed and made some more local calls. The Roush Saleen guys in my area did confirm the 3 yr/30,000 mile warranty as long as it was a certified install. Looks like I will be taking a road trip to Indiana and have a Brenspeed install and see an old friend in Wisconsin on my way back to Northern Minnesota. Just need to figure out what I'll do in Pierceton, IN for a couple days. Dave will also run my new install on the dyno and give results!

Since I am in Northern Minnesota, I'll have to wait a few weeks before I pull my baby out of storage for the drive. NO SALT!!!

Looking forward to a spring road trip!

Willow

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
regency is prob right i was told 8 rwhp with my UDP'S

·
Premium Member
39,159 Posts
Looks like I will be taking a road trip to Indiana and have a Brenspeed install and see an old friend in Wisconsin on my way back to Northern Minnesota.
Keep in mind that Livernois is in Detroit and that would be a lot shorter, and they would do an as good, if not better installation. Check em out here.

New - Livernois Motorsports - Home

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I appreciate your responses, as always. But Michigan is further to the east and way further north. Brenspeed is not too far from Chicago... just a little across the border of Indiana. Detroit is way out of my way guys. :confused:

My main reason of buying a Saleen S/C is that I will hold my 3 year/36,000 mile warranty. I have an '08 with 3,300 miles. This is crucial to me! I have verified this with two local Ford dealers. I am not using them for installs because they wanted a rate completely out of reason. Over a $1,000! But they confirmed my Saleen warranty which was at the top of my list of prerequisites. Brenspeed is a qualified installer.

Anyways, I have spoke with Dave at Brenspeed many times and we have worked out pretty good deal. Don't ask. Work out your own deal. :) This is also a little vacation for me as well. I am going see a buddy in Wisconsin that I have not seen in a while on the way back.

Just another note. Brenspeed is hooking up my 'stang on the dyno for a couple pulls before I leave that Friday afternoon. Results in hand before I leave. I am so looking forward to this trip!

Willow

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I believe you can achieve 13psi with a saleen, which is plenty.

I just ran into a guy the other day with a 13 psi saleen charger on a stock GT, I told him to let me know when you need a tow.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I believe you can achieve 13psi with a saleen, which is plenty.

I just ran into a guy the other day with a 13 psi saleen charger on a stock GT, I told him to let me know when you need a tow.
I am going for a low psi. The 435HP is 4-5 psi. Well within the limits of Ford's expectation of a warranty. When I get close to the end of my warranty, my system is set for easy upgrades. For right now, with 3,300 miles on my new GT, I'll lay low for a while and enjoy. :D You all know this GT rocks without upgrades, with another 135HP at the fly wheel, I can hang for a while.

Willow

1 - 11 of 11 Posts