Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
missippi roolz
9,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last night I dropped my fuel tank and removed the filler neck without cutting the grommet out. I just read that apparently, by default, I have damaged my filler pipe check valve by doing this. Is this 100% correct?

·
missippi roolz
9,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know. I'll have to check it tonight after work. How can I tell if its damaged? It wasn't hard to pull out or anything...

·
Premium Member
1,906 Posts
typically what happens is the end cap rips/pulls off and falls into the tank. it is only held on by a couple clips that "could" break if you are not carefull. Look in the tail end of my build thread to see pictures of mine when I pulled my tank. (link in my sig)

·
missippi roolz
9,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
typically what happens is the end cap rips/pulls off and falls into the tank. it is only held on by a couple clips that "could" break if you are not carefull. Look in the tail end of my build thread to see pictures of mine when I pulled my tank. (link in my sig)
Wow perfect! Thanks bud. I'll look at it. My fuel tank is empty so if it fell off in there it may not be too bad trying to fish it out. Would be nice if it didn't though. Everything work properly after you reinstalled the tank after popping that off and putting it back on?

·
Premium Member
1,906 Posts
yes it did. It is just the anti-siphon/check valve that pops off. Mine was undamaged and popped back on.

If your tank slid off that easy then it would be best to replace it for a good tight seal.

·
missippi roolz
9,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Replace it with a brand new check valve?

I think it was easy because the tank was empty and I had it on a movable motorcycle jack.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Mine held up fine. I pulled it 30k miles ago. But it actually just started leaking like 2000 miles ago

·
missippi roolz
9,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your fuel tank started leaking? I've got a new filler neck grommet since I read its a good idea to replace that. I'm just unsure of how screwed I am if I messed up the check valve

·
Pays in respect
2,891 Posts
hmmm, I'm reading this thread and I had no trouble removing the fuel filler neck from the grommet. Took a little wiggling and maneuvering but it came out and the grommet was fine. I did not have to cut anything. I even ordered a new grommet and still have it in my parts box because I never had to use it.

·
I smell like beef
5,580 Posts
hmmm, I'm reading this thread and I had no trouble removing the fuel filler neck from the grommet. Took a little wiggling and maneuvering but it came out and the grommet was fine. I did not have to cut anything. I even ordered a new grommet and still have it in my parts box because I never had to use it.

Same here.

·
missippi roolz
9,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Same here.
I meant new grommet. with a new grommet the tank should be a PITA to pull off :)
Whew, that eases my nerves then. I'll take a look at it tonight and hopefully the check valve is still there, otherwise I don't think it'll be too horrible trying to fish it out if I have to. I've got the new grommet, figure I'll replace it if its easy enough since I really don't ever want to drop the fuel tank again...especially since a cobra IRS is going to be blocking it off soon enough

·
missippi roolz
9,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well it was still on there so no biggie. But holy **** I'm never dropping the fuel tank again if I don't have to. Replacing the sending unit was a freaking pain in the ass.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Damn this happened to me today. I was wiggling the tank and the top end came off. I got the valve (has orange on it like on sonics build pic) along with the spring. I tried wiggle the tip off of the neck but that fell in the tank. I will be fishing it out tomorrow and hopefully I didn't break anything. The clips looks like it just popped off though.

·
Thrbfirs..... Meat Eggs
4,398 Posts
I dropped my tank 2x so far. Once to replace the fuel pump, the other to replace the filler neck grommet that I didn't replace while i had the tank out for the pump. Its a pain in the ass, but its not too bad if its almost empty.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts