Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
June 11, 2008
Bought 1990 Lx Mustang

June 12, 2008
Towed Stang to Roberts house.

June 15, 2008
Towed Stang to Moms house. Began removing unwanted parts for 4cyl -v8 conversion.
Removed EFI wiring, AC Parts and other small hoses.

June 16, 2008
Removed 4 cyl. engine, trans and driveshaft.

I will try to keep this updated daily. I want to keep track of everything I do to this car here. So please do not whore this up. Just read it leave it alone and PM me any comments you have.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
June 17, 2008

Today took the car to a car wash. Jacked it up and pressure washed the engine bay and the under carriage. Brought it back home put the starter solenoid, and ignition coil.
Removed the fuel tank. Removed the fuel pump hanger and removed the fuel pump from the hanger. Installed a rubber fuel line in place of the old pump. No need to spend $100 on the granetelli part when this does the same thing and works perfect. I have done it in the past with zero problems from it.

Thanks to Jonathan for the help. And most thanks to my 7 year old daughter Leetha for operating the jack and taking pictures for me.

Well here are the pics.

This is the car. Thanks to 90bluelx (Robert) for finding this car for me.

Engine bay with engine removed and before the cleaning.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PICTURE OF THE MODIFIED FUEL PICKUP (for carbed applications)

Me cleaning up the top of the tank getting ready to reinstall the fuel pickup.

And here is my 79 coupe that is donating alot of parts to the 90 model lx. The coupe is old and ready to retire. Its had plenty of problems through out the entire car.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
June 18, 2008
Didnt do much today.
On the LX we reinstalled the fuel tank. And routed the fuel lines for the holley red pump. and feed line for the carb from the tank.
On the coupe, removed the red pump. Removed the carb, drive shaft, x pipe/mufflers. Removed the duraspark module, and drivers side #8 header primary, and the clutch cable.
Stood around bullshitting alot with a few friends.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
June 19, 2008
Today pulled the 5.0/T5 out of the coupe. With long tube headers still attached!
Moved the cars and cherry picker around to get ready to drop the engine into the 90 lx. Only to find my bellhousing was cracked around the top area near the transmission bolts.
Must have been all that power!
I will have pics up in the next few mins. Had to use moms camera, waiting on her to email them to me.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Top of bellhousing

Bottom of bellhousing

Engine Shots

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pics of the naked coupe now!

Pics of me and Jonathan

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
June 20,21st ,2008

Didnt get to post up yesterday I was so dog ass tired!

But in the last 2 days.
Engine is in. Welded the fuel pump bracket up in the rear of the car. Wired up the duraspark, mini starter, starter solenoid relay and bypassed the neutral safety switch. That took a few hours. Had to extend some wires and ohm a few out since the 79 was wired a little differant. After a few tried we couldnt get the starter to engage. Found the neutral safety switch I bypassed wrong. Fixed that. Found the ground strap from the block to the firewall, and the battery posts werent tight so no good grounds there. Tightened up all that crap and finally got the engine to turn over from the ignition switch, and its got spark.

Hooked up the PS pump. Installed the radiator and attatched hoses. Installed electric fan. Robert installed the battery in the hatch. (Maybe he will finish that by wire tieing the battery cable up tomorrow!)

Hoping to swap the front 5 lug and wheels, and the 8.8 in and bleed brakes tomorrow. And possibly install the 5 speed pedals, clutch cable and fuel pump.

Thanks again to Jonathan, and Robert for the help today.
Without these guys We wouldnt have this much progress yet. Hope to have more pics up tomorrow also.

Thanks to Robert for the new bellhousing also. The old one was cracked in 2 places.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
June 22, 2008

Today me and Robert got a little bit done.
We removed the steering column and installed the 5 speed pedals. Then we installed the #8 primary header pipe. Which was more of a pain in the ass than the pedals.

I hate these summit long tube headers. In a few weeks I am putting BBK long tubes and x pipe on. Im gonna cut these summit headers up with a sawzaw! I hate them that much.

Robert started taking the 5 lug stuff off the coupe today. Im glad to, takes a burden off me having to do it.

Will get some more pics soon.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
June, 23 2008

Big brown truck showed up with the double hump crossmember. Thanks to 83FOX for that!

Jonathan and Michael (a guy from work) put the crossmember, x pipe,drive and drive shaft in. Me and Jonathan finished wiring the fuel pump in and got it working and primed. Finished up the front 5 lug swap and put the greg weld dragstars on front.

Filled the radiator up and hooked wiring to oil and temp gauges up. Reinstalled steering column. Finished installing clutch cable and adjusted it. Installed the 79 model throttle cable because it was shorter and works better.

Fired the engine up everything is going good. Michael spots the heater core leaking so we shut the engine down and bypass the heater core. Then we wire in the the hot wire for the choke and fire it up again. Everything is good. No problems found so far.

Didnt drive it because I cant find what I done with the throttle cable bracket. So today gonna fix that. Put the shifter handle on and recheck everything.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
June 24,2008

Completed converion in 8 days flat!

Drove the car everything is good to go.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
June 25, 2008

Drove the car to work today no problems at all!

Tonight I plan on the 8.8 swap I dont know if it will happen or not its to damn hot here today!

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
June 25, 2008

The 8.8 is in. Along with the HPM megabite jrs! The car is complete now. I just need to wheel the paint out and give the inside a good cleaning and it will be like a brand new car.
I will get pics asap. Now that all the 5 lug stuff is on.

Thanks to Jonathan, Robert, and Mike. Who all made this job become 100% complete in 9 days! I douldn't have done it without these guys.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well here she is.

Just needs wheeled and waxed now! Then tinted windows!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts