Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Winter is coming and Mustangs have a bad reputation when it comes to driving in snow. My 2000 Mustang GT is a daily driver all year long. I bought it in 2006 before the snows hit. It came with a set Kuhmo summer tires. It almost got stuck in a parking lot that had an inch of snow on top of some packed snow. The car almost got me killed trying to merge into traffic when the rear tires spun and traction control shut off the fuel. From that time on I never run traction control in the snow. And then it spun out on a corner that had a small icy patch leaving me stuck in the side ditch. At the time I had over 40 years experience driving in snow and on ice. Frustrated with the damn thing, I parked the car for the rest of the winter. In the spring I ditched the summer tires for a set of all seasons and I have not had any trouble since—not even in 6” of snow.

Mustangs are not the reason for the bad winter driving reputation. Summer tires are. So why do so many people insist on driving summer only tires in the snow? I can only assume they think they get better overall performance. But that isn’t necessarily true. There is absolutely no reason to sacrifice winter and light snow performance anymore. Ultra High Performance All Season tires perform as well or better than many of the Ultra High Performance Summer tires and sometimes come close to Extreme Performance Summer tires.

According to TireRack’s testing the four best Ultra High Performance All Seasons are:
..…1. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ with an overall rating of 8.18
…..2. Bridgestone Potenza RE980 A/S with an overall rating of 8.02
…..3. Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus with an overall rating of 8.00
…..4. Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 with an overall rating of 7.88
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=230

But they also say that Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 is the best hands down in snow. Here is their snow and ice test:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplayWinter.jsp?ttid=201

Unfortunately none of the top four sell 275/40-17s. Even though BF Goodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S didn’t make the list, it is tied for second with Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 on customer surveys and its test results are not far behind (overall rating 7.76). So the Ultra High Performance All Seasons picked for this comparison are the top ranked Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS, and my BF Goodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=UHPAS
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=222

According to TireRack’s testing results the four best Ultra High Performance Summer tires are:
…..1. Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 with an overall rating of 7.73
…..2. BF Goodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 with an overall rating of 7.67
…..3. Kumho Ecsta PS31 with an overall rating of 6.97
…..4. Dunlop Direzza DZ102 with an overall rating of 6.02
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=217

Customer surveys place Firestone first, BF Goodrich third and Dunlop fifth. Kumho Ecsta PS31 is a fairly new tire will no survey results. So the Ultra High Performance Summper tires picked for this comparison is Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 and BF Goodrich g-Force Sport Comp-2.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=UHP

Extreme Performance Summer tires are basically designed for dry traction but can also be driven on the street. According to TireRack’s test results the four best are:
…..1. Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R with an overall rating of 7.72
…..2. Dunlop Dizerra ZII Star Spec with an overall rating of 7.53
…..3. Falken Azenis RT615K with an overall rating of 6.97
…..4. Nexen N FERA SUR4 with an overall rating of 6.82
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=219

Survey results have Bridgestone RE-71R fourth with the Dunlop tire second so for this comparison the best Extreme Performance Summer tires will be Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R and the Dunlop Dizerra ZII Star Spec.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=EP

Seven tires selected for this comparison: three Ultra High Performance All-Seasons, two Ultra High Performance Summer, and two Extreme Performance Summer. TireRack uses both qualitative and quantitative ratings in their tests.

First the Real World Road Ride Ratings (qualitative measurements):
………………………………………………...Ride…………Noise………Handling………Overall Road
………………………………………………Comfort…..….Comfort……………………………Rating
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+…………………8.09……..….7.87…………...8.52………….….8.16
Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS……………7.98…………7.84……………8.21…………,…8.01
BF Goodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S……..…7.46………...7.05……………8.02………….….7.51
Firestone Firehawk Indy 500……………….6.90…………7.19……………7.91……………..7.33
BF Goodrich g-Force COMP-2…………….7.19…………6.83………….…8.05……………..7.36
Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R……………...6.01……..…..5.28………..…..8.85……..………6.71
Dunlop Dizerra ZII Star Spec……………….6.13…………5.71……………8.57……,,………6.80

Next Performance Drive Data, dry test track (qualitative measurements):
…………………………..............………Cornering…..Steering.…Braking……Handling……Track
………………………………..............…..Stability......Response..Modulation..Predictibility…Rating
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+…………………8.31……..…8.39………8.39….……8.42…….…8.38
Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS……….…..8.05…….…..8.11………8.25…….…8.02…….…8.11
BF Goodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S…….…8.07………...7.99………8.01…….…8.05…….…8.03
Firestone Firehawk Indy 500……………….8.45………..8.32………8.41……….8.48……….8.42
BF Goodrich g-Force COMP-2………….....8.12………..8.25………8.25…….…8.29….……8.32
Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R………….…..9.25………..9.18………9.14…..…..9.14…...…..9.18
Dunlop Dizerra ZII Star Spec……………….8.48………..8.53………8.66………8.55………..8.56

Finally, Performance Drive Data, wet test track (qualitative measurements):
…………………………........….........……Cornering…..Steering…..Braking…......Handling…….Track
……………………………….........……...…Stability….Response…Modulation…Predictibility…Rating
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+…………………8.00……..….8.07………….7.94…………8.00………8.00
Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS……………7.89………...8.02……....…8.00…………7.86………7.94
BF Goodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S……..…7.96………...8.17…………7.93…………7.86………7.98
Firestone Firehawk Indy 500……………….7.76…………8.00…………7.53……...….8.07…...…7.84
BF Goodrich g-Force COMP-2……………..7.68…………7.81……...…7.68……....…7.77…...…7.74
Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R………………8.21………...8.45………....8.00…….......8.36…...…8.26
Dunlop Dizerra ZII Star Spec……………….7.90………...8.15……....…7.78…..….…8.06…....…7.97

In the Real World Road Test, Ultra High Performance All Season tires beat both the Ultra High Performance Summer and Extreme Performance Summer tires. Ride and noise comfort pushed them over the top but the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ bested the Ultra High Performance tires and even rivaled the Dunlop Dizerra ZII Star Spec Extreme Performance Summer tire in Handling.

The Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R Extreme Performance Summer tires were in a category of their own on the track in both dry and wet conditions. On a dry track Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ performed head up with the two Ultra High Performance Summer tires with the difference measured in the hundredths.
The BF Goodrich g-Force COMP-2A/S lagged behind probably because they were designed more for snow performance buut on a wet track they caught up. Both Ultra High Performance All Season tires slightly outperforming the Ultra High Performance Summer times and basically tied the performance of Dunlop Dizerra ZII Star Spec Extreme Performance tire on the wet track test.

Quantitative Measurements (in seconds, lower is better):
……………………………….……………....Slalom….....Slalom…….….Track….……Track
………………………………………….….….Dry……….…Wet…………….Dry……….…Wet
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+…………………5.05……..….5.62…………..30.36…….…34.63
Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS……………5.16………..5.46……….…..30.71……….33.97
BF Goodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S…….…5.20………...5.83……….…..31.00…….…35.06
Firestone Firehawk Indy 500……………….4.95………...5.65…………..30.02……….35.45
BF Goodrich g-Force COMP-2…………….5.07…………5.71………..…30.62……….35.58
Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R………….….4.82………....5.62………......29.17……….34.56
Dunlop Dizerra ZII Star Spec………………4.97…………5.63…………..29.50……….34.60

Quantitative Measurements (in feet, lower is better. In g’s higher is better):
……………………………….……….…....Stopping…......Stopping….….Cornering…..…Cornering
………………………………………………...Dry………….…Wet………….Dry (g’s)………Wet (g’s)
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+…………………83.2…………..113.9…………..0.92………….…0.71
Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS……………85.7……,,……111.5…………..0.90……………0.74
BF Goodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S……..…86.5………..…107.7…………..0.90………..…..0.71
Firestone Firehawk Indy 500……………….80.3…………..121.8…………..0.91…………….0.75
BF Goodrich g-Force COMP-2……………..79.4………,,…117.7……..,…..0.89…………….0.74
Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R…………….,,72.9…………..111.4……,,,.,….0.95…………….0.81
Dunlop Dizerra ZII Star Spec……………….73.9………,,…118.3……….,...0.93…………….0.76
…..Stopping is 50 mph to zero

As expected Extreme Performance Summer tires prevailed with the fastest dry slalom and dry track times. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ again split the difference with times falling between the two Ultra High Performance Summer tires. On wet tracks it caught up with the Extreme Performance Summer tires. It was fast but not fast enough, the Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS had the fastest wet slalom and track times beating all other tires. Extreme Performance Summer tires had the shortest dry stopping distance and the highest cornering g’s but the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tire was only 1/100 of a g behind in cornering. Oddly enough the tire with the longest dry stopping distance had the shortest wet stopping distance, BF Goodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S.

Conclusion: If you live in the northern tier where you could end up driving in light snow but you do not want to give up dry or wet road performance then you should look into getting Ultra High Performance All Season tires.

·
Nile P. Pezdel of Pez Dispenser Inc. CCA
5,502 Posts
I rock PS AS3 tires on my fiesta st and at my last autocross event was less than one second behind the fiesta st wearing Potenza Re050's. They are legitimate performance tires and are more than adequate for temperate climates that get too little snow to necessitate winter tires.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not sure if you are just posting a lot of Tire info or asking for advice??? but for all season performance and bang for the buck I would go with the Continentals extreme DWS-06. As you can see in the Tire Rack reviews that tire has even had good results on track days.

·
Registered
979 Posts
TL;DR but I agree. Summer tires are dangerous once it drops below ~50 degrees, sometimes even a little closer to 60 due to the compound etc. My mustang in just the cold on summers had much longer stop time, due to the tires wanting to just slide and thus the brakes wanting to lock up. On my SHO I ran an A/S (BFG Comp 2 A/S) from the day I got the car and drove it in all conditions no issue. If I was going to drive the mustang in the winter I would definitely get a set of A/S instead of summers, OR get some dedicated winter wheels/tires.

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,215 Posts
What are nitto555s considered? Ive noticed when the roads are wet these tires aren't happy and they don't grip well. The Florida rains aren't fun and I got to drive slow or I'm sliding all over .

Tires have less then 3k miles on them so it isn't the tread. They still look new

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure if you are just posting a lot of Tire info or asking for advice??? but for all season performance and bang for the buck I would go with the Continentals extreme DWS-06. As you can see in the Tire Rack reviews that tire has even had good results on track days.
The first set of all seasons I put on my Mustang was Continental ExtremeContact. When they wore out I bought their replacement, Continental Extreme Contact DWS. When they wore out I wanted to get Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 but its not offered in 275/40-17 so I went with BF Goodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S.

Test data, customer surveys, and track performance all prove that Ultra High Performance All Seasons can run heads up with their summer counterparts.

---------- Post added at 12:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 PM ----------

What are nitto555s considered? Ive noticed when the roads are wet these tires aren't happy and they don't grip well. The Florida rains aren't fun and I got to drive slow or I'm sliding all over .

Tires have less then 3k miles on them so it isn't the tread. They still look new
Nitto 555s are a Ultra High Performance Summer tire. Nitto 555Rs are drag radials. I run 315/35-17 Nitto 555Rs on the back during the summer and put all seasons back on for the winter.
NT555 Summer Ultra High Performance Tire

1 - 7 of 7 Posts