Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone told me about UMI performance and they make good stuff.

I'm looking at some adjustable UCA's and non-adjustable LCA's, and torque box reinforcements kits.

Anyone know anything about them. They good product? Will they Hold up? I can get really good prices.. but i dont want this to be the case.. you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
775 Posts
For a street & DD you don't want UCA! First, a solid UCA should never be put in to gain better handling of your ride! They are completely inflexable and greatly increase the suspension bind already inherant in the Mustang 4 link rear suspension. Cuz all it is is a solid arm and not even adjustable for pinion angle. Either stay with OEM uppers OR go aftermarket ones that have a spherical bearing on one side.

Or even better Go instead with a Panhard bar / Watts-Link.
Griggs Racing Products

NOW for UMI... i don't know too much about their product. Yes, i've heard of them b4 your thread (thats about it). I've heard more about CHE, MM, UPR, Steeda.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im not looking at solid uppers. they are adjustable with polly bushings.

When i say im going to be street/track.

I DONT DD the car. i drive it for fun on nice days.. I want something that will work for me more of straight line drag racing. Im putting 26x10.5x15 et streets on this thing. Launching at 4000+ causes wheel hop like a bad mofo.

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
^ my pepe, sonix,is correct :yes

The UCA's linked are, for all intents and purposes... solid. They may have adjustabilty for pinion angle, but will compound the bind already inhearant in your 4-link out back.

If you do NOT hit hard twisties and looking for improvement in 1/4 mile use, look at ***THESE*** UMI uppers instead:

I do not know how UMI stacks up against others, in terms of strength, but they look to be pretty heavy duty and should do just fine. If you are looking to go REALLY hardcore into 1/4 mile and run sticky's, you may want to look into TeamZ or Baseline relocated uppers and re-inforcing your boxes.

Jazzer :)

PS. Expect some LOTS of additional NVH running aftermarket uppers.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Hello Everyone,

Thanks for the post and I will be glad to help.

I am a little embarrassed that not many people have heard about us. Our Mustang products are pretty well known in the Fox Body crowd and the 05-11 models. We don't offer a lot of products yet for the 79-04 Mustang but we hope to expand on that in the future. Our first suspension product ever built and sold over 8 years ago was the lower torque box reinforcement kits :)

For a street car I recommend the polyurethane bushings or Roto-Joints.. both are very quiet on the street and work well. The Roto-Joint is designed more for articulation.

If I can help with another questions please ask. You can also find our products at Summit Racing.

Thank you!
Ryan

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello Everyone,

Thanks for the post and I will be glad to help.

I am a little embarrassed that not many people have heard about us. Our Mustang products are pretty well known in the Fox Body crowd and the 05-11 models. We don't offer a lot of products yet for the 79-04 Mustang but we hope to expand on that in the future. Our first suspension product ever built and sold over 8 years ago was the lower torque box reinforcement kits :)

For a street car I recommend the polyurethane bushings or Roto-Joints.. both are very quiet on the street and work well. The Roto-Joint is designed more for articulation.

If I can help with another questions please ask. You can also find our products at Summit Racing.

Thank you!
Ryan
I picked these up

1999 - 2004 Ford Mustang Rear Lower Control Arms [1022] - $139.99 : UMI Performance, Inc.

1979-2004 Ford Mustang Adjustable Upper Control Arms- Poly Bushings [1018] - $159.99 : UMI Performance, Inc.

1994 - 2004 Ford Mustang Lower Control Arm Reinforcements (Torque Box Reinforcements) [1020] - $39.99 : UMI Performance, Inc.

I have yet to install them because of some trans issues.

DO think these parts will hold up with hard launches on ET street tires at the track?

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
I feel you are making a mistake installing a solid poly/poly UCA on your ride :(

Regardless of DD or drag-only, they are hard on the torque boxes (or whatever the technical name is for the uppers) and am speaking SPECIFICALLY about the design, not the manufacturer.

I am not a fan of the lowers, in terms of design eather, but not nearly as big a deal. I recommend you return them and pick up the spherical UCA's I have linked above :yes They are stronger and FAR better for your torque-boxes. Wanna see what happens to a solid poly/poly UCA....

Now, these were on a DD, but the eventual outcome can be exactly the same :( The axle does NOT need to articulate to create the strain leading to this damage. Before someone says they are "weak" UCA's, the issue is that something MUST give in the equasion presented by such a UCA on your ride.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I am with the Kitty on this one. It is just a proven fact. But since you have already purchased them I wish you the best of luck with UMI.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
i personally would have went with the double adjustable uppers that jazzer posted. they look very nice and beefy. i run the same style and like it. that style is a good setup for drag racing....

any how, i have used the umi poly/poly lowers and they are a very nice beefy piece. great price as well.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So your saying the lowers i got are fine.. but i should go with Solid uppers like you posted above?

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
i think the lowers will work fine as long as you have the torque box reinforcements...gonna want those for sure with a 5spd/drag radials and a poly/poly control arm.

as for the uppers i would go with the ones jazzer posted...with the spherical on the body side. or you could get spherical bushings for the uppers you already bought. i'd probably go with the first option though

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Kind of off topic, but what kind of LCA are best for track? 2 spherical or spherical/poly??

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
A spherical ended LCA will mechanically function better than a poly/poly one 100% of the time :yes

The amount of grip you have should be the next consideration at this point. If you don't have, nor plan to have, serious grip for launching conditions, I would recommend a set of UPR Pro Series LCA's. These will be 100% fine for a DD and open-track/AX use, but not really strong enough for use on some sticky's. Many are fans of the CHE poly/poly LCA's and hold up well under 1/4 mile conditions. While they work well and less expensive, most of the time, they will not allow quite as much freedom of suspension fuction as one that has a spherical end :no

Remember, pepes... Upgrade of nearly all suspension parts = NVH!

You want to make your car handle the strip or handle the corner, sacrifices MUST be made to one degree or another :yes

Jazzer.... bringin' it to his pepes :)

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the info guys.. I think i might change out the UCA to the one Kitty posted.. Or maybee just get the ends..

My main concern was i didnt wana lot of noise in the rear durring daily driving.. But I think the Poly/poly LCA and solid/spherical UCA will be sufficant.

Now i have to see if my speed shop will exchange the UCA... :/

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
The spherical UCA will give you noise for sure :yes

You may want to keep the OEM UCA's (yes, I said OEM UCA's). The only time I recommend a spherical UCA if for serious 1/4 mile doods/doodettes with MODERATE cornering duties.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The spherical UCA will give you noise for sure :yes

You may want to keep the OEM UCA's (yes, I said OEM UCA's). The only time I recommend a spherical UCA if for serious 1/4 mile doods/doodettes with MODERATE cornering duties.

So your saying the OEM ones trump the sold/poly that I already have?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts