Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 mustang cobra 5spd and I can't seem to be able to spin tires, I can get the back end to kick out around corners but if I'm 1st and stomp on it there is no tire spin at all. I have 275s on it but I wouldn't think that would make much difference. The only mods I have are catted x pipe and mufflers removed and subframe connectors. Any ideas on why I'm unable to spin? I do have a new exhaust with a o/r h pipe and flowmaster 40 catback but I don't think that would make much difference either. The car also idles a little funny too. It has the jumpy rpms that many people seem to have. It starts at 1200 rpm and then slowly idles down to 1000 and then up to 1100 and then stays idled at 1000

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Should I replace it or clean it?

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
clean the IAC and also the MAF. Sounds like the MAF might be a little dirty

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cleaning it often works. Another possible culprit of uneven idling if it's not the IAC is a vacuum leak.
How do I check for a vacuum leak?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Bringing Yellow Back
10,928 Posts
traction control?

sounds stupid but you never know

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
How do I clean these parts?
The IAC you remove and spray out with throttle body cleaner. There is a pice in it that gets gummed up and stops moving. You will see what I am talking about once you look at the underside of it.

The MAF you clean with MAF cleaner. Just spray it out and let it evaporate off.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The IAC you remove and spray out with throttle body cleaner. There is a pice in it that gets gummed up and stops moving. You will see what I am talking about once you look at the underside of it.

Thank you I appreciate the help. If this is the problem what about these things makes my car unable to spin tires?

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
It could also be driver error. How high are you revving the motor before you drop the clutch?

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
the maf isnt metering the air like it should if its dirty, and that can cause the computer to make adjustments based upon that reading that could make your car lack power

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It could also be driver error. How high are you revving the motor before you drop the clutch?
I mean if I'm doing like 10-15mph already and then just stomping on it. I mean it puts me in the back seat but no wheel spin or even squeal

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the maf isnt metering the air like it should if its dirty, and that can cause the computer to make adjustments based upon that reading that could make your car lack power
Thank you I apprecaite the explanation

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Where can I get these cleaners?

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
I mean if I'm doing like 10-15mph already and then just stomping on it. I mean it puts me in the back seat but no wheel spin or even squeal
that sounds about normal. if you really want it to spin and squeal, put cheap tires on it

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
that sounds about normal. if you really want it to spin and squeal, put cheap tires on it
Lol I'll stick with my tires rather than buy cheap ones. So its not out of the ordinary that I can't spin tires doing this speed? I was jw because a friend of mine has a 4.6 mercury cougar auto and can put it down at like 15ish and get the back end to stand up. I can do that from a dead stop but not when I'm already cruising.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts