Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, when i spoke with a rep for HP (when they were answerin the phone for me) he said i needed (strongly suggested) to change my mufflers for unchambered mufflers to help the turbos spool quicker since they are a lil too big for my car. I have Flowmaster 40's or 50's on it right now. Does anyone know of a nice sounding unchambered muffler? i have access to an almost new set of Bullets at my mechanics shop. i heard them on a fox body and it was quiet in the cabin. I'd rather like a raspy or maybe more agressive sound from my stang. i know the turbos will muffle the car, but i want it to have a good, mean sound. it does have an x-pipe on it, catless.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sweet, what do they usually go for in price

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
magnaflow or borla for my vote. if you like the chambered sound but looking for a strait thru design, look into a set of hooker aerochambers. i have a set of my truck and had a set on my t/a, i love them.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Ok I'm confused. That guy told you to switch from a chambered muffler (chambers help create backpressure) to an unchambered muffler (aka straight thru if you will) to help the turbos spool faster?

Sorry but I'd have to disagree. Boost is a measurement of resistance (i.e. back pressure). Taking away back pressure is going allow the engine to move air more efficiently thus giving the turbos a higher rpm before they start to create boost. I'd leave the chambered muffs in there. My $.02

-Mark

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
Ok I'm confused. That guy told you to switch from a chambered muffler (chambers help create backpressure) to an unchambered muffler (aka straight thru if you will) to help the turbos spool faster?

Sorry but I'd have to disagree. Boost is a measurement of resistance (i.e. back pressure). Taking away back pressure is going allow the engine to move air more efficiently thus giving the turbos a higher rpm before they start to create boost. I'd leave the chambered muffs in there. My $.02

-Mark
The boost measurement you're talking about is in the intake tract, not the exhaust.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Thats what I was thinking but my brain didn't relay it to my fingers. :D

But what I meant to say is that to don't increase efficientcy to make the boost increase earlier. You restrict it.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
Thats what I was thinking but my brain didn't relay it to my fingers. :D

But what I meant to say is that to don't increase efficientcy to make the boost increase earlier. You restrict it.
Wouldn't that only matter upstream of the turbo, though?

By restricting the flow upstream, you would increase the pressure in the system with the same volume, at the cost of decreasing overall flow. I guess this would be "front pressure" on the turbo.

Any back pressure would work against that front pressure, and cause the turbo to not spool as quickly.

At least, that's what makes sense to me, hahaha. I don't have personal experience with turbos, just synthesis of stuff I've read (i.e. how SVO's *love* 3" exhaust).

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
You want as open as possible on a boosted cars exhaust side. You want to move volume on the downstream side. Thats why you see bigger exhaust on turbo vehicles and why you see so many skittles running around with practicly open down pipe

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yea thanks so much! i've been building this car since feb, takin forever since the shop where it sits doesn't work on turbos, but he lets me do as much as i can, and he only helps when i need it, thus not charging me much. Im nearly done and just need some minor things (except the front bumber cover and headlight assembly wont fit back on, thats a major thing). But i wanna do it right and dont want it to take forever to spool.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Aeroturbine at2525's gets my vote for sure. Not sure about exact claims but I know the diesel guys love them b/c of their ability to lower EGT's. I'm putting at2525's on my car when I get my dual exhaust done b/c they are supposed to help scavenge exhaust gases, due to the air foil like design, plus they use ceramic packing in their resonators instead of rock wool like a lot of companies do. The ceramic packing stands up to way more heat. Here's a video of the technology in them.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well as far as backpressure before the turbos, i have my heads raceported by Houstan performance. i dont know if that helps or hurts

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
well as far as backpressure before the turbos, i have my heads raceported by Houstan performance. i dont know if that helps or hurts
It helps because you can get the volume in with boost. Race ported heads on a N/A car can hurt more than help because you loose velocity with the bigger ports.

·
Registered
169 Posts
you say you heard a set on a fox body? dont go by that a mod motor is going to have a more raspy sound to it than an old pushrod motor,i have longtubes with a catless bassani x-pipe and magnaflows and i love the way it sounds it has a nice sound at idle and gets a little raspy the more you get on the throttle.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
you say you heard a set on a fox body? dont go by that a mod motor is going to have a more raspy sound to it than an old pushrod motor,i have longtubes with a catless bassani x-pipe and magnaflows and i love the way it sounds it has a nice sound at idle and gets a little raspy the more you get on the throttle.
+1

I have Flowmasters on the Cobra and they sound great. I had Flowmasters on the 5.0 and I swapped stock mufflers back in due to the horrid drone they had.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
sweet, i guess i have alot to choose from. Im so jealous of this kid that lives a few houses down. Its an 03 mustang gt, he says he has a magnaflow full exhaust with the mufflers and cats removed. the car sounds so agressive for some reason. he said he only has intake and exhaust changed, but it just sounds soo freakin good.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts