Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I started my car and low and behold it started making this rattleing/clanking noise. When I drove it around to see if I could see what it was it started and stopped. It seems to drive fine its just really annoying and it seems to be coming from near the drive shaft? ANY ideas what it could be

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
Yes, also if you still have cats check the heat shields.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I would check it out or get it checked out soon. If it's a bad u joint, which could make a clunking sound, it could cause a serious accident if it comes apart, especially the front u joint. (When a front u joint comes apart the front of the drive shaft drops down on the road, which can cause the car to tumble end over end. This is why drag racing cars have a safety device to restrain the front of the drive shaft.) A rear u joint isn't as bad, worst case is the drive shaft could fall out.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Checking them just requires putting the car on a lift or jacking it up. If they are bad to the point where they make clunking noises it will be obvious.

Replacing them isn't really hard. One option is to remove the driveshaft and have a machine shop do it, but I did it with just needle nose pliers, a hammer, and some sockets. If you look on youtube there are directions for how to do it.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok im pretty sure it is not the u-joint because it makes the noise when it is in park. How do yall feel about cutting the heat shield off of one of the cats? Cause im pretty sure one broke the welds and is the cause of the racket. Anything bad happen if i do that? I have stock exhaust still.

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
I would just take your exhaust off...really not hard at all, 6 bolts. Then take it to a weld/machine shop to have them weld it. I had something else on my exhaust welded for only $30. I wouldn't advise taking it off, as they do serve a purpose, shielding from heat, as well as protecting the exhaust from anything that may hit it from underneath the car.

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
...and I doubt it would be easy to get the thing off of there if it's still more than half welded.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok I went under there and that is definately the cause of the noise. Its the farthest cat on the right side.

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
Honestly man I wouldn't touch it until you can have it fixed properly. It probably wouldn't work too well and you may damage it. You can have it off the car in under 30minutes and the weld shouldn't be more than an hour or 2 turn around time, so you can have it fixed and driving within one day.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok what if I just buy a catted x/h pipe and rip out my stock exhaust. I currently am short on $$. So I couldnt afford the catback at this time. Would that fuk up my car running nothin but a midpipe??

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
Not a great idea. Loss of back pressure, shitty mpg, not to mention horrid noise. The cheapest and easiest route is to just get that shield welded. If someone has a lift and welder at the same place they could even do it without removing the exhaust from the car.

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
removing the driveshaft takes a 12mm 12point socket. and thats it...a good pull off the tranny.
It too easy to take out that its not worth replacing the U-joint under the car.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts