Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
All sissies going to Hell!
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who has taken out the under hood insulation?

I did it on my last mustang with no problems, but the bullitt is not performance white.....should I do it?

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
You can. I did when I had the stock hood, but Ford doesn't complete the painting under the hood cotton in most cases, but not all. My car wasn't fully painted and my son's '05 pretty much is.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
took mine out due to the whipple SC pulley clearance. no problems, except like Anthony05gt said, it isn't completely painted under the hood liner.
heres mine and a friends GT both with the hood liner taken out. if you look real close you can see where towards the middle mine is a little yellow. sorry the pic is from sort of far away.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Pulled mine off a long time ago. Just be careful not to break any of the plastic fasteners. I got half of one rattling around between the layers of the hood and I can't seem to get it out. I never notice it until I raise my hood and then I can hear it rattling down to the cowl area.

·
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
k.... Sold. doing it tomorrow.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have had mine off for the last two years.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
how i keep trying but it is not working

·
Registered
128 Posts
are there any downsides to taking the hood liner out? I imagine it serves some kind of purpose, anyone know why its there? ...I agree that it looks much better without it though.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Yes, it is mainly for sound deadening, but I'm sure it's got insulating purposes too. Not all cars have them, so take it off if you don't like it.

2006yellowgt that's not a stock hood.

·
IBEATU
5,919 Posts
It is a fire retardent blanket. If your motor catches fire then the plastic push pins melt and allows the blanket to drop down over the motor smothering out the fire....in theory. It also serves as a little sound deadening as well.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Sounds reasonable.

·
Registered
128 Posts
sounds like a nice safety feature to have

·
Registered
959 Posts
I thought the whole point of a hood liner was to keep the heat away from the hood so the paint doesn't bubble...? Is that true?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I thought the whole point of a hood liner was to keep the heat away from the hood so the paint doesn't bubble...? Is that true?
yea, but only on your car.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
It is a fire retardent blanket. If your motor catches fire then the plastic push pins melt and allows the blanket to drop down over the motor smothering out the fire....in theory. It also serves as a little sound deadening as well.
Bingo! I was waiting for that reply. :cool:

That's because your car is HAAAAAAAWWWWWWWT!!!!!!!!:D

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
It has no heat retention properties as far as insulation though. It's like Mike said, a fire retardant device.

·
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Aftermarket hoods don't have them though.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts