Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and some buddies just tried to do my udp's and couldn't get the alternator pulley off. We ended up bending some of the fins inside the alternator but were able to fix them. Any suggestions on what to do?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
and get a pulley puller how were you trying to get it off? a prybar?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
sorry...on vicodin here, i forgot about the nut onours...some alternators are press on pullies.

pain pill moment...i will take my:spankand:laughat

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The car still runs o.k. Voltage is normal. We tried sticking an allen wrench in it and used a longer wrench for leverage. The allen wrench broke and the alternator fins bent.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
how do you use a pulley puller on the alternator pulley?????

we stuck a large screwdriver through mine to keep it from turning and nut came off pretty easy
The screw driver didn't mess anything up?

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
Take the alternator off and take it to a parts store and have them use an impact on it if you don't have one. I would'nt be putting screwdrivers and allen wrenches in the alternator to hold it in place.:eek:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We had an impact wrench, it just wouldn't fit between everything. The swivel nut was also broken.

·
Registered
922 Posts
thats why you take the alternator off and set it on a bench, or the ground.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think I'm just going to have a shop do the whole install.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't know. Maybe I just need to have a shop take the alt. pulley off. I just don't want to mess anything up.

·
Registered
922 Posts
what kind of pullies are they?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Steeda.

·
Registered
468 Posts
its a very easy install...just seems intimidating at first like everything else....just take off the alternator and use an impact driver on it....just make sure u have a puller for the crank pulley

·
Registered
922 Posts
Yea, they are cake really - just make sure you have an air gun for the alt pulley and a puller for the crank. And make sure you put some gasket maker in the keyway on the crank pulley or that b1tch WILL leak oil.

·
Registered
428 Posts
When i did mine I borrowed a puller from Autozone's, and I took my alternator and pulley to a garage and they swapped it out in 2 mins and didnt charge me anything.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts