Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
I love to skydive
17,286 Posts
Do you mind your ac taking a little while to get cold/hot? Do you plan on ever going supercharged in the future?

·
gtscrewd
5,228 Posts
i would go with a cai and a tune before anything if you start modding you will need a handheld

·
Turbo Maniac
437 Posts
I bought the steeda, mainly because I built the motor and wasn't leaving my god awful rusty and nasty looking stock pulley on.

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
I freed up some power from my accessory belt by going with an electric H2O pump. It probably frees up 8 hp, just a guess. But you don't make any concessions with your A/C or amps from the alternator. Plus your car will run cooler, run the same size belt, and if you break your belt you could probably limp it home without overheating. Plus you can always run the pump along with your radiator fan while the motor is off. You can pretty much hot lap it about every 20 minutes without worrying about heat soak. Plus it's a pretty easy install, sometimes yanking off pulleys can be a bitch.

·
MM's Resident Male Nurse
1,314 Posts
electric water pump? where to get this magical item??

·
MM's Resident Male Nurse
1,314 Posts
^:funnah

LOL, in all seriousness though... is our current h2o pump belt driven then? I actually thought they were already electric?

·
ExPeNsIvE HoBbY
1,920 Posts
I have heard on a daily driver that electric pumps are bad. They still draw current from the alternator so they aren't freeing up as much as you might think, and they have a higher failure rate than a belt driven pump. On a drag car, no biggie, cause ur at the track. On a daily driver it can leave you stranded.

Plus and minuses to everything.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
The one thing is that if your going to go with a blower down the line somewhere, be sure you get the one with the stronger pulley bearing. I have the regular pulley bearing with my Whipple and am just waiting for it to bust. The regular one is still a stout unit and may last me forever, but have seen a couple busted with aftermarket belt tensioners.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Electric water pumps are expensive and free up little hp. The Small diameter damper (some call it a pulley) will free up 5-8rwhp. When combined with a large diameter water pump pulley, a March large diameter Cobra R alt and hydraboost pulleys can provide gains of up 15rwhp.

I've never gained more than 3rwhp with the addition of an electric water pump. However, they are useful when sitting in the staging lanes.

My a/c takes no longer to get cold than it did with the stock damper.

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
I know someone here had to have installed the meziere pump themselves. Is the removal of the timing cover required?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
No, http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/2005-2010/150569-pumpin-mickey.html

Oh, switch set up for the track.

I have heard on a daily driver that electric pumps are bad. They still draw current from the alternator so they aren't freeing up as much as you might think, and they have a higher failure rate than a belt driven pump. On a drag car, no biggie, cause ur at the track. On a daily driver it can leave you stranded.

Plus and minuses to everything.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
The amperage pulled from the alternator is not going to effect the drag on the alternator/belt and it is less than 25 amps anyways. At least the fuse for the pump is 25 so the actual draw is going to be less than that. And a pump failure is going to leave you stranded either way. I've seen more belt failures than pump failures and in that situation your not stranded, you can go until you run out of electricity in your battery. I have had more failures of belt driven pumps (3) and none with Meziere electric pumps. Now I have only had them in a few of my cars so my data might be a little skewed, but they have all been daily drivers driven at the track. In all my years of wrenching on peoples cars I have done dozens of pump changes, none have been electrical pumps (that were broken). Too many pluses for me not to have one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts