Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
about 5hp..by making it so the accessorys dont take as much horse...so ur freeing up HP...but some people notice charge problems when u use the alternator one..for about $100..5hp to me aint worth it..find some used ones for like $40..

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
about 5hp..by making it so the accessorys dont take as much horse...so ur freeing up HP...but some people notice charge problems when u use the alternator one..for about $100..5hp to me aint worth it..find some used ones for like $40..
agree on the used part, why would the alternator have trouble charging? is the pully bigger?

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
yeah the underdrive pullys are bigger pullys...so it spins slower taking up less hp front the motor..and spinning slower makes the alternator not charge as well..as long as you dont have a crazy sound system ur fine..

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
and you can get a set new for 50 bucks on summit......they arent aluminim though

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
you can expect anywhere from 8 - 12 hp and for 50 bucks i think they're worth it

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
and you can get a set new for 50 bucks on summit......they arent aluminim though
yeah there steel

86_notch said:
you can expect anywhere from 8 - 12 hp and for 50 bucks i think they're worth it
i doubt people see even the low side of that range...you probably get more horse from switching to synthetic oils...

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
i used to be skeptical as a matter of fact i don't buy into cold air kits and ram air but i once got a set of pulleys for 20 bucks from a guy ( brand new but never used ) so i put them on a 5.0 i used to have and while i never had it dynoed the motor revved much easier and accelerated noticibly quicker and easier

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
smaller crank pulley + larger alt and water pump pulley = spinning the accesories slower which frees up power, plus it will help the alt and water pump live longer

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have them and yes u can see the battery and lights dim down when u are at idle so if u are running a sound system (i.e. subs with an amp) then u will want to take them out or put the amp on a switch just so it doesnt drain everything out of the battery.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
I have them and yes u can see the battery and lights dim down when u are at idle so if u are running a sound system (i.e. subs with an amp) then u will want to take them out or put the amp on a switch just so it doesnt drain everything out of the battery.
or just not run the pully for the altanator

·
Registered
301 Posts
but if you have 2 blue pulleys, you need the 3rd one! its just not right skipping out like that. 66% is a F in my expirience. =)

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
or just upgrade to like a 3g 150 amp alternator

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
but if you have 2 blue pulleys, you need the 3rd one! its just not right skipping out like that. 66% is a F in my expirience. =)
um..you suck...im pretty sure i'd rather my alt fully charging my battery so i know it will start all the time rather than be slightly less charging at make .5hp more!!!!

·
Registered
301 Posts
speedstang.. ive had these pulleys for a while, dont even have that good of a battery, i can idle with headlights/ foglights on for 10 min, turn car off, and turn it back on, no problem. (ive never had any reason to stay in one spot for more than 10 min o_O)

edit: although if you have an electric fan and waterpump, i dont think this is a good idea at all.. thoughtd id add that.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
well i have electric fan and more of a motor to start up..i have an optima red top along with stock alternator...and dont have my underdrive pullie on there and i still cant even keep a charge...and my starter solenoids new, so arent all my battery cables and grounds are all clean..so idk

1 - 20 of 41 Posts