Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Evening Forums!

I'm hoping someone with more knowledge than myself can give me some advice. When I bought my mustang in 2008 I swapped out the stock tires and rims from 17' to 18'. At the time I also went to wider tire on a staggered fitment so I was running 18' rims with 255/45 on 18x9 in the front and 275/40 on 18x10 in the rear. I was told I did not need an alignment from both the place I bought the rims, and the place I bought the tires.

I've driven about 45,000 miles on these tires and as winter approached I wanted to rotate the tires, well, swap sides at least, as I had done the previous winter. Upon removing the tires they found uneven wear on the inside as shown in the picture.

This is my front driver tire, the front passenger is almost identical, and the rear wheels are not worn to the metal band but the inside is bald. The outside of all tires have plenty of tread left.

Discount Tire said that 'oh you need an alignment' so I had the old stock tires put on so I could drive the mustang and put the ruined wheels in the garage. I then took the car with the stock tires on it to Performance Wheel and Tire for an alignment. That result is below.

As you can see the alignment is fine, or unchanged, at least from what they said. I was told by them they did not know what could cause that type of extreme wear and to take it to my dealership. I took it to my dealer and they said go pound sand they weren't 'tire people'.

A bit of history if it has bearing on my issue-

Modifications include new rear upper control arm and lower control arms, new panhard rod, and new gearing to 4.10. Strut tower brace and an engine tune. Not sure of any of that would cause this type of wear. If anyone can guide me on the issue I'd be forever in your debt.

My fear is spending another grand on tires to have the same thing happen. So if anyone has advice I'm all ears.

Thank you in advance for your time! Have a wonderful week.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
The camber is on the edge of out of spec, but not far enough I would think.

However it does look as if you were rubbing something. You could always get a second opinion on it else where. They could of set the heads wrong, or the machine could not be calibrated

·
Insomniac
5,912 Posts
Riddle me this, im guessing the tires are directional? Were they facing the wrong direction? What psi do you normally run? How hard do you drive the car? I would also measure the diameter of the outside of the rim against the inside.

·
I'm Ridin A Coyote!!!!!
6,481 Posts
That looks like either it was rubbing, OR too much Negative Camber going on...as in tires/wheels looking like this on said car... // \\

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They aren't directional tires, so that isn't it. As for the PSI I don't recall off hand but whatever the sidewall says is what it's at.

I do appreciate your responses, and I do plan to take it to another shop and at least get an opinion. The wheel well doesn't look like there is any rubbing, a friend of mine said the tires might be stretched to far and that might cause it?

Thank you again!

·
Eat Springs, **** Valves
9,332 Posts
They aren't directional tires, so that isn't it. As for the PSI I don't recall off hand but whatever the sidewall says is what it's at.

I do appreciate your responses, and I do plan to take it to another shop and at least get an opinion. The wheel well doesn't look like there is any rubbing, a friend of mine said the tires might be stretched to far and that might cause it?

Thank you again!
Never run your tires at the max PSI on the sidewall... Always use the PSI listed on the door jam sticker. If you had them overinflated that much, I'd expect to see more the inner tread worn than the outer shoulder blocks. But as stated before, you have too much negative camber.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately 2 weeks after purchasing the car I was t-boned by an old man in my rear quarter panel and had to have it replaced, and lost my door jam sticker. No idea what it said. :(

I'll have the camber checked again, thank you.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
On s side not. Maybe you should put s little wider tire on the front, I know my dad has a 2010 and he has 275 40 or 45 on 18x9.5. And on my 02 I have 275 35? On 18s. I would check except both cars are covered in snow lol

·
Registered
204 Posts
It is clear on the alignment sheet that the Camber is not out enough to cause this. However you state that you have installed "staggered" fitment. Basically the strut is set up to place the weight of the vehicle, or load, in the center of the tire, with factory wheel track widths. If you move that center outward like you did, I am not the least bit surprised to see this. As the weight is now not on the center of the tire, but more towards the inside edge. That is what the SAI, or Steering Axis Inclination is. It is an imaginary line between the top of the strut and the lower ball joint. The included angle is the SAI plus the camber, or in this case, minus the camber. SAI really isn't adjustable. I would recommend getting the center of the tire back where it needs to be. This issue really only pertains to the front. You COULD still run staggered in the rear if you want that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went with the staggered fitment on the recommendation of American Muscle and someone who owns an 07 v6 with the same setup. Nobody ever mentioned that this type of setup would cause uneven tire wear with no way to fix it, nor to my knowledge have they experienced this. Do I need to completely replace either my suspension or wheels?

Thanks for your time.

·
At the Apex pulling 1.28g
6,578 Posts
Before you do anything, pull the wheels off and triple check that it isn't rubbing somewhere. Check the strut, wheel well, swaybar, anything that looks like it could even remotely contact the inner edge of the tires. There definitely isn't enough negative camber there to cause that kind of wear or enough toe. The only other thing I can think of is if the ball joints are going. Unlikely, but possible. Usually you would get tire cupping long before that kind of wear..

I'm not sure I buy the SAI excuse and how that impacts scrub radius. Usually the area that receives the beating from that its the inside center area and I doubt his wheels pushed the centerline of the tire out that far to cause those issues.

Barring rubbing on something, check the bushings and ball joints for wear. My money is on rubbing though and it may only be in certain situations. What all is done to your car suspension, wheel, and tire wise?

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Yeah, steer hard one way and move the car a few inches to hold that angle and take a look for rubbing. After that, steer hard the other way and repeat.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Without camber plates I had similar wear and could see the cords on the inside of the front tires. But, I can't tell from your picture if the tread is feathered linear from the very inside where the cords are across the surface. I mean no tread left on the inner side and gradually across the tire to the outside where there was normal rubber. I know camber plates fixed my problem. I also could just look at the front of the car and tell the tires were no at right angles to the ground visually. They were tipped in. I went with plates and adjusted to normal specs, but did loose some front end turning "feel" that I had with the huge camber.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I appreciate everyone's advice and comments. I will be sure to take a look for any rubbing once this snow melts. As for suspension work, the rear end had some changes as follows;

J&M 05-09 Mustang Street/Race Extreme Joint Lower Control Arms

J&M 2005-2010 Mustang Double Adjustable Upper Control Arm (Street Performance)

J&M 05-09 Mustang Double Adjustable Panhard Rod (Race)

I also put in 4.10 gearing and a tower brace, otherwise the modifications are irrelevant I think. Stereo, CAI, things like that.

Thanks for your time.

·
FBGM
6,177 Posts
I have that wear on my front tires this summer, but said **** it, it wasnt as bad as that but you could tell their was more wear on the inside, so once I get new tires im getting an aligment because once it gets to a certain point theres no way you can ever even it out.

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
It's those seventeen foot tall rims you are running.

You went all Spinal Tap Stone-henge on us!

I think your tires are rubbing. That looks like contact damage.

·
At the Apex pulling 1.28g
6,578 Posts
It's those seventeen foot tall rims you are running.

You went all Spinal Tap Stone-henge on us!

I think your tires are rubbing. That looks like contact damage.
This. :p

The only way it could be alignment related is if your bushings are so shot that it is toeing out A LOT while driving straight ahead. Seriously, I'm running -1.7º of camber with zero total toe and have had NONE of that type of wear. I really don't think, now that I have seen the pictures on a larger screen, that it is alignment caused, it's too narrow to be alignment.

·
Registered
204 Posts
A 255/45R18 is a shorter overall diameter by 1/4 inch from stock. He has staggered wheels. And unless I missed it, there is no mention of lowering. He also stated that it doesn't look like there is rubbing, so its not obvious, damage like that from rubbing would probably leave obvious witness marks on the vehicle. Lastly, I would imagine that if it were rubbing there would be an obnoxious noise to follow, or a harshness felt in the floorboard. Maybe I am way wrong here. How many of us here have rubbing issues? I never have. How many of us here have staggered wheels? Probably only him...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts