Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was thinking of snagging a custom bama tuner from american muscle, but it says on the one I looked at that if I use the race tune, I should be running the "highest grade of fuel available", which would be premium. The car has always had regular unleaded running through it. Can I switch over to premium without any issues?

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
By the way, I meant unleaded regular in the title.

·
V6 BIOTCH
6,945 Posts
Well my friend. Many thoughts about this. Mine:

Its not going to add ALOT of power by running 93/91 octane, but usually its a better quality gas, burning more efficient, cleaner, more powerfull.
Unleaded has varying qualities more so than premium ... you can get a hold of some shitty gas that way ... and your car will run like ****.

I would go with high octane. Its more expensive but might be better for you in the long run. Just curious which tuner and where from ?

·
Registered
680 Posts
So I was thinking of snagging a custom bama tuner from american muscle...
Just curious which tuner and where from ?
?

The difference between 87-91-93 right now here in Tallahassee is $3.51-$3.63-$3.75 respectively. The fuel tank holds 16 gallons, this means a completely empty tank will cost $56.16-$58.08-$60.00 respectively. You will save a whopping $3.84 if you fill up with the cheap stuff vs. the expensive stuff.

Personally I'd just piss away that $3.84 on something stupid so I put it in my tank and enjoy the added performance.

For what it's worth I run the 93 Performance tune from Bama and I've noticed my mpg has gone up since installing the new tune.

·
Absens haeres non erit
2,807 Posts
93 with a tune whould grant you better mpg's and performance. Plus it burns better, and if you take Shell 93 into account it has an awesome additive package that will keep your motor cleaner.

·
Banned
17,374 Posts
i run 87...why...because i'm not tuned for anything higher. 87 is the perfect octane for my cars compression...any higher octance wouldn't give me anymore HP, MPG, or longevity...water in gas can be in any octane.

Now in your situation just run w/e the tune will call for...that'll make it easy for you

also on the whole $3.83 difference...i'd rather buy another gallon of 87 with it when i need to then waste it on premium w/o a tune.

·
Registered
158 Posts
^^^
shel gas really better ??
Fill up at your Local, friendly, high quality CITGO filling stations!!

Get me an x-mas bonus!

FYI
Gas is gas. No refinery makes 91 octane. They blend 93 & 87 or whatnot. I know our shell filling stations in south texas had a lawsuit against them for ruining fuel pumps.

@6er True water is in ANY octane

·
Banned
17,374 Posts
when i first ran my stang in 93 with a new tune i was happy ( well there was a slighty imporvment but not a holy-moly fire breathing monster diffrence) , now im back running on 91 and it somehow runs like a dog... i say go for it
two differences...first difference what tune were you running...second difference you're in a GT...been there done that so i know there's a big difference how the little things like this effect the two engines differently

·
Registered
296 Posts
Your question re: changing over to higher/lower octane- You can switch back and forth no problem just be sure to have the proper octane in the car that the tuner file requires.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Pm'd :)

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quick question, I've uploaded my picture to my profile, but I can't it doesn't show it under my name on the left. Does anyone else see it? Does it not show you're own, or what? I should have a pic of my silver 2000 mustang on here.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts