Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well got the CMS stage 1's in finally. Bad part is we broke something. We did it with the AFM tool so we didn't have to remove the cover. But the driverside chain guide is ****ty plastic where the top mounting bolt holds the guide in place broke. Could probably run the car but I am afraid the guide will get damaged by the chain as there is a very slight movement in it now. To beat all I am stuck in Alaska so the part has to be ordered. The only place left to try and get it without ordering is NAPA but they are closed for New Years and the website doesn't tell if the store has it in stock Other than that the install was super easy I think....

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not very good pics but this is where the guide broke. Looks like it was already weak. The new ones appear to be metal here instead of plastic form the pictures on Napa's site. The plastic broke where the bolt head sits against it on the top wide. There is still some material holding it in place and we fished out the broke piece.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Great job installing the cams yourself. It's shitty you'd stuck in Alaska with a broken guide. Can't wait to hear what she sounds like when you get it fixed.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I can't wait to get a video up. Was planning to fire it up at midnight for new years....didn't happen lol.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you guys think I can get the driver side chain guide out without removing the chains? It seems like I should be able to. It isn't the tensioner but that orange guide opposite of it..

·
Registered
150 Posts
No - remove your radiator and pull your timing cover. Check out the Trick Flow Timing Set. It replaces the tensioners too, which are that cheap orange plastic. It's quite a complete set, gears, chain, guide, tensioners. Timing gear and chain set Trickflow 4.6/5.4 2v

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
Do you guys think I can get the driver side chain guide out without removing the chains? It seems like I should be able to. It isn't the tensioner but that orange guide opposite of it..
Theres 2 guides. Which one are you talking about? The curved one that comes in contact with the tensioner. Or the straight one that is bolted to the block & head?

One way or the other youre gonna have to remove the front cover and once again one way or the other its going to be easier to just remove the chain of the one you want to replace. Unless you be really careful & you have help because itll be hard to do with 2 hands. If you have to change the stationary one squeeze the chain together by hand the best you can, remove the 2 bolts, pull the guide off, put the new one on then release the chain with your hands.

Same goes for the tensioner guide. Hold the chains together best you can/keep tension on them while someone else removes the 2 10mm bolts for the tensioner. Have the same person pull the tensioner off, slide your guide off the pin, slide the new guide on (all while keeping tension on the chain by hand so it cant jump a tooth), then have them compress and reinstall the tensioner.

Thats the best way I can explain it w/o actually removing the chain. It will also be easier if you remove all of the followers/rockers on the side youre working on. That way when youre trying to hold the chain in place youre not fighting the tension of the valve springs.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
No - remove your radiator and pull your timing cover. Check out the Trick Flow Timing Set. It replaces the tensioners too, which are that cheap orange plastic. It's quite a complete set, gears, chain, guide, tensioners. Timing gear and chain set Trickflow 4.6/5.4 2v
you don't have to remove the radiator, makes it easier to if you remove the expansion tank

op:sorry to hear of your problems,**** happens when you mod. but as you are learning sometimes it is better to do it the correct way,yes using the tool can save time(money saved is min.) but it don't allow insp of timing components which is a very high wear items on ohc engines

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Timing cover is aoff and waiting on parts :) In the mean time I am cleaning the piss out of everything. Is it ok to sand (with a wire wheel on a drill) and paint a rusty ass harmonic balancer?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.