Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took my car to Ford last Friday after two weeks of having random no start issues with my '00 mustang. It would crank strong but not start sometimes. The service manager called me at work and told me they could not get it to not start for them and that it started just fine everytime they tried it. They told me they checked the PCM, fuel pressure and codes but everything checked out normal. I was convinced it was the fuel pump starting to fail but they didn't seem to think so.

So I went to go pick it up. I went back inside to the desk and told the guy it wouldn't start. He followed me out so I could show him exactly what it does. He had me turn the key on/off a few times saying sometimes you can prime the pump a few times to build enough pressure to start
Then, he had me pop the hood and he pulled a plug wire off and had me try it again. He told me that I was getting intermittent spark and that it should also have been a bigger spark than it was giving. He said it could be the coil or other things but he asked me if I wanted to keep it there until Monday and have the mechanic lcheck it out again.
He said at least now we have an area where to focus on. So it doesn't look like the fuel pump is at fault at this point.

So what do you think it could be now? A bad coil pack maybe?

·
Banned
1,232 Posts
If its spark all it can be is plugs wires coil or computer. Intermittent starting seems rather un-plausable for a spark issue though, It should either work or not. And im pretty sure you would have felt a lack of power while accelerating not to mention some massive stuttering if your spark was so retarded it couldn't start up.

Tough to say man. Still kinda sounds like a crank sensor.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Probably the coil pack. Is it oem?
The coil is OEM. All I know is that I sometimes I hear an audible click around the same time the fuel pump is priming. When I don't hear that click, I already know it won't start if I try to start it. Maybe it's just me hearing things but i'm right everytime when I think I don't hear that sound. It sounds like a relay energizing or something.

When the car does run, it runs perfect. No hesitation or being sluggish or bogs...nothing.
Only ONCE did it act weird when I tried to start it. It started and would barely stay running regardless of the throttle position. It acted like it was on it's last few drops of fuel just before a car runs out of gas.
IDK but tomorrow when they go to check it again, it's probably going to start right up for them again and act fine and then charge me ANOTHER $70 for a diagnostic fee!

·
Efficiency is Performance
1,214 Posts
Do you wait a couple of seconds after turning the egnition key from on to start?

I used to rush it a lot before and noticed that it had trouble starting at times. And this was the case on all cars. It takes a few seconds for the pump to deliver pressure on startup.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you wait a couple of seconds after turning the egnition key from on to start?

I used to rush it a lot before and noticed that it had trouble starting at times. And this was the case on all cars. It takes a few seconds for the pump to deliver pressure on startup.
Yep, it doesn't matter how long you wait.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, so today the ford shop called me again and told me my car needs a new fuel pump! It finally didn't start for them so this time they could actually troubleshoot the problem.
SO since last thursday, they went from saying "Don't know what's wrong because everything checks out fine, to "Not getting spark" , and now today it's a bad fuel pump which they quoted me $645 to replace!! They estimated $501 for parts, $140 labor, plus tax. I told them forget it and I would come get it and I towed it to another garage(not dealership). The new place said he would do it for between $250-$350(parts & labor)) depending on if it needed a new sending unti or not.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Ok, so today the ford shop called me again and told me my car needs a new fuel pump! It finally didn't start for them so this time they could actually troubleshoot the problem.
SO since last thursday, they went from saying "Don't know what's wrong because everything checks out fine, to "Not getting spark" , and now today it's a bad fuel pump which they quoted me $645 to replace!! They estimated $501 for parts, $140 labor, plus tax. I told them forget it and I would come get it and I towed it to another garage(not dealership). The new place said he would do it for between $250-$350(parts & labor)) depending on if it needed a new sending unti or not.
sounds like you have been taken for a ride lol. i would suspect something with ignition switch or circuits, Anti theft, or possibly Constant control relay module or whatever relays. maybe just wiring issues. GL i would pull the key ignition switch and look at the contacts. i would also check the coil power and grounds

·
Registered
304 Posts
Well if ford was gonna do it the oem motocraft fuel pump is alot more than 100 but 600 is still pretty steep

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sounds like you have been taken for a ride lol. i would suspect something with ignition switch or circuits, Anti theft, or possibly Constant control relay module or whatever relays. maybe just wiring issues. GL i would pull the key ignition switch and look at the contacts. i would also check the coil power and grounds

Well, they said it was the fuel pump now since they were able to work on it when it wouldn't start. I had it towed from there to another shop that I usually go to. I should have gone there first but I figured ford would be able to diagnose the problem much better and quicker than they did.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I got my car fixed (at another shop) and it was the fuel pump. Total cost was $450
It needed the entire assembly (including sending unit), new fuel filter and a new gas tank gromet. Here is the price break down

Fuel pump (with sending unit)..$278
fuel filter...............................$14
fuel tank gromet.....................$26
labor.....................................$117
tax........................................$26

1 - 13 of 13 Posts