Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for info on the best mods for my 86 mustang gt its all original except centerforce clutch and bbk clutch cable
but I want to know the best parts so I don't spend more money then needed but I want it turboed or supercharged I wouldn't mind
500+ hp but built to handle way more if down the road I want even more power

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thatd be nice but more realistic then that I'm not concerned
on how much but on what's the best but being cheap would help
but mainly it good parts I don't want to screw it up and waste my time and money
I do have two mustangs and 3 5.0 engines so I want to do different with each as well but I'm focused on my 86 gt right now

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I nice hci short block with 10-12 of boost will get you 500 flywheel, I've done it before. My combo was stock 88 short block, E303 cam, heavily ported GT40 iron heads, Holley Systemax, 42 lbs injectors, Procharger P600B @ 11 psi, tuned made 446 @ the wheels. which is 500+ flywheel. This was years ago, much better cam & head selection now days. You will also need to upgrade to Mass Air & a 255lph fuel pump!

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
First things first, why 500 hp?

Second, built to handle more is the key words here. Stock blocks can be iffy after 500. Some more, some way more, yet some less. If you want it built to handle more, than you really need to start with a aftermarket block and then you may as well throw good internals in it and not half ass it. See where I'm going? Anything over 500 can get real expensive when you are building for the future. Your most cost effective way is what HorsepowerJunkie mentioned. But the block is going to hold you back from going too much further. And besides, 500 hp is more than enough for most people. Most people always say they want 'x' amount of hp, but they can't tell you why.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
500+ hp just as start its like riding a sports bike in my opinion don't start at above what you can handle
start at what you know you can handle and go up from there I
agree 500 is enough but with anything your going to want
more eventually right I have 7 vehicles but there is only a few I want
done up
my truck (93 ford ranger) swaping in a 5.0 its got 300 + in the
engine (engine out of my dads mustang ) but my dad bought it like
that I just want to build my own engine up
if 500 is what it can handle then thats,what it'll get but
I'll want more .. what's a good aftermarket block and should I go with
short block or long block

1 - 6 of 6 Posts