Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has taken me almost three years of fixing the little stuff and saving cash but almost ready to upgrade my powertrain. Replacing pretty much everything under the hood and transmission. The transmission is a TKO 500. Clutch is RAM 10 Spline Powergrip Hd Clutch. Gears 3:55. Engine is a 363 by CHP. Went with the reverse dome pistons because I'm planning on a supercharger next year.

CHP PRO-STREET Long Block - Ford 363 Big Bore Reverse Dome -20.6cc

Car is stellar 87 conv with 66K original miles.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m17/phares_b/black_gt.jpg

I love the look of the stock car and don't want to change it at all. Does anybody know what is the best I can do to upgrade the brakes if I want to keep the turbines?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Unless you want to convert to 5 lug, which I assume you don't, I would just throw some aggressive pads on it. I'm running hawk hps pads with powerslot rotors and she stops great. No brake fade or anything.

·
Registered
58 Posts
for those who don't have the cash flow for powerslot rotors, how would an aggressive set like the hawk pads or EBC pads hold up with a stock rotor?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unless you want to convert to 5 lug, which I assume you don't, I would just throw some aggressive pads on it. I'm running hawk hps pads with powerslot rotors and she stops great. No brake fade or anything.
In normal driving or do you roadrace?

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
If you're going to spend the money, you can build a better engine for the cost of that one. I don't understand why they use an iron eagle block and then use components they say are only rated to 800hp. At that level, save the money and go SHP. I would also do an internal balance crank and more compression. Probably a lot of things you could do to make more power for that same money, those are just a couple that struck me right off the bat.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you're going to spend the money, you can build a better engine for the cost of that one. I don't understand why they use an iron eagle block and then use components they say are only rated to 800hp. At that level, save the money and go SHP. I would also do an internal balance crank and more compression. Probably a lot of things you could do to make more power for that same money, those are just a couple that struck me right off the bat.
I got several quotes including from a local builder and they were the cheapest. It was about 1200 cheaper than the local builder wanted. Sure if I had the facilities, tools and knowhow I could do it cheaper myself but I don't. Plus is that if I want to build a 1200hp engine later I wont need a new block.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Lol, I'm sure he gets a lot of pipe dreamers sending him e-mails. Not going to defend the guy because I don't know him personally, but I've never seen a complaint about him that he didn't resolve, And that was one complaint out of a lot of engines I've seen him do for people. So from what I've seen on the internet over the last few years, he's worth it.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Just spirited street driving. Stock rotors would probably be fine, just get the street pads, not track.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lol, I'm sure he gets a lot of pipe dreamers sending him e-mails. Not going to defend the guy because I don't know him personally, but I've never seen a complaint about him that he didn't resolve, And that was one complaint out of a lot of engines I've seen him do for people. So from what I've seen on the internet over the last few years, he's worth it.
I'm sure he builds a good engine. I wanted to get a quote from him but since they didn't respond I assumed they decided they didn't want to compete on the job. There was correspondence...they did respond to my query, the last email from them was this:

Hi,

Just wanted to confirm we did receive your email. I will talk to Jim and put together an itemized quote for you to review. I should be able to send that over on Monday. ( I am at home right now and will be back in the shop on Monday)

Thank you!

Nicole Woods - Owner
Proudly Family Owned
630-462-3978 shop
877-723-5487 toll free
[email protected]

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would look here if you were going to have someone build your engine.
FordStrokers.com 331-347-408-418-427 Custom Built Small Block Ford Engines - FordStrokers "Liberator" Longblocks - :: FordStrokers DART Liberator Longblock

I agree it's always nice to have more than you need, but an SHP block will take you into the 8's. What are you going to do with 1200hp and 4 lugs anyway?
As far as the 4 lugs go maybe I change my mind later...maybe I decide later that I want to scratch the car and buy a roller coupe if I get into taking it to the track. Has nothing to do with making a 10k investment in an engine. I will have quite a bit more in the engine than the chassis so i may decide to pull the motor out and put it into a different car later.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts