Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im new here and I was wondering what else can I do to my '97 v6 auto to make more horsepower and torque below are some basic mods i've already done to it

Spectre CAI
dual exhaust w/ shorty headers

Also, I've heard that adding a procharger or other fi adds a lot of horsepower with more stress on the motor but i'm afraid of installing one because the odometer stopped at 90,000 miles and im positive the car has >120,000. Would I have to rebuild the engine or should I just keep it N/A

My goal is to get it to run like a gt or possibly even better

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
My goal is to get it to run like a gt or possibly even better
Just a forewarning this will likely cost you a couple grand. Ive been down to the Myrtle Beach area a couple times and I see Mustangs for sale up the wazoo that are in pretty good shape. Itll likely cost you less to trade yours for a GT.

That being said, if youre hellbent on upgrading your V6 theres a variety of options. You can swap to a super coupe motor. You can throw a M90 supercharger on it. You can go with a full N/A build. The cheapest, if you can find one, would likely be the super coupe swap, however if youre paying someone else to do the work for you it wont be cheap at all. I'd expect to pay at minimum a 1-3+ thousand for any of these

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, im leaning towards the super coupe swap. Would I need to change anything like the tranny or rear end or will it drop in pretty easily?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome thank you so much I'm definitely going with the swap its just a matter of time and money lol

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
money is always the issue but:

H/c/i

super coupe swap

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What does h/c/i mean?

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
Heads/cam/intakes. Basically rebuilding the top end with performance parts, or at minimum having your stock pieces ported & polished. This smooths out and increases air flow. More air = more power, usually. Don't just go hack material out of your parts if you don't know what you're doing. Some science goes into that...

Also, being a single port motor, you can actually swap the intakes from a 99-04v6 and gain about 40hp.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok cool but would it be worth it considering the motor likely has 120,000+ miles on it? When I got it last December the odometer was stopped at ~90,000 miles. Could h/c/i be bad for my engine?

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
120k isnt really that much anymore. Because youll be putting in newer and better gaskets, and likely replacing the timing chain your car will probably benefit from it other than a boost in power. But as mentioned its an expensive road. Be sure you really want to sink a few grand into your car first just to gain a moderate amount of HP. Without going a full out N/A or forged F/I build you still wont hang with most newer sporty cars.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I've grown really attached to the car and my parents won't let me get a v8 :( so im stuck with this most likely until after college. Besides, right now i just want it to outrun my manager's 95 civic ex that "supposedly" has an b16a2 engine swapped in it. I'm tired of her talking crap about my v6 and how her civic beats everything on the road

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Just tell her civics are for hondafags and be done with it lol Plus stock that engine blows as far as I can tell. Something like 160hp stock and complete **** for torque, 110ftlb or so.

Stock you may very well beat her but the civics likely a lot lighter but for reassurance Just get a GOOD tune, and do 3.73 or 4.10 gears and youll dust the POS all day everyday. Tell her to take it to the track and put up or shut up.

·
Certified Bwaloligisit
28,086 Posts
Im gonna be honest with you. save your money for a GT down the road. I was gonna do all this stuff to my sixxer with similar miles, but then i realized, dumping all this money into it and only to MAYBE run with GT's is a waste. So i saved and got a GT. Now im planning an H/C/I for a summer build.

its your car, but my advice is save for a GT to build, especially if you want power.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Don't get me wrong I love my sixer but just the other day I test drove a 06 gt and let me tell you save your money lol

·
04 Mustang
400 Posts
You can go supersixmotorsports dot com and they have some great stuff for the V6.

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
Find mustangmikes build...

simple cheap-ish and effective o_0

No car payment required!

·
Certified Bwaloligisit
28,086 Posts
Find mustangmikes build...

simple cheap-ish and effective o_0

No car payment required!
thats the only benefit :lol To me at least.

·
2013 5.0
2,982 Posts
Im gonna be honest with you. save your money for a GT down the road. I was gonna do all this stuff to my sixxer with similar miles, but then i realized, dumping all this money into it and only to MAYBE run with GT's is a waste. So i saved and got a GT. Now im planning an H/C/I for a summer build.

its your car, but my advice is save for a GT to build, especially if you want power.
Im gonna be honest with you. save your money for a Cobra down the road. I was gonna do all this stuff to my GT with similar miles, but then i realized, dumping all this money into it and only to MAYBE run with Cobra's is a waste. So i saved and got a Cobra. Now im planning an H/C/I for a summer build.

its your car, but my advice is save for a Cobra to build, especially if you want power.

:shiftyeyes

1 - 20 of 69 Posts