Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as some of you may know, I've been doing a 5-lug conversion on my mustang. I used 94-95 spindles up front with '00 GT calipers and the UPR k-member with tubular A-Arms.. I finished up today and I have a problem..

The passenger side wheel sits further in than the driver side. They're 03 cobra wheels 17x9 26mm offset. The passenger wheel rubs on the Coilover spring, and the driver side doesn't. Visually you can see the difference... What can be that cause of that? Any pointers? For now I put a spacer on the passenger wheel to bring it out and not rub but I want to have it done right.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
well if its the wheel itself that you say is what is set in farther than i believe that it could only be a wheel offset difference or something with the spindle. measure the wheels again and find a common spot on both spindles to measure from where the rim flushes up to the outer part of spindles? cant think of anything else right now

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
oh also find a common area from the kmember & the car on both sides and measure. if different then there is a problem with the kmember.

·
Exhaust fume addict
1,526 Posts
I have heard of quality control issues on upr k members.

I know that's not any help but do like said above. Measure all the mount points

·
Registered
485 Posts
I had same issue on mine. UPR says that it happens when you put that wide of a tire on their setup. I think if you put a 12" spring on the front I should help with the issue. Only other option is to get a slimmer rim or get a small spacer.

I ended up finally only having it rub on full lock of steering wheel and put an 1/8" spacer on it. That took care of it though

Sent from my DROID RAZR

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the replies. I measured all the wheels, and they're all the same. They also all have the same measurement specs inscribed inside the spokes "17x9 26mm".. I measured the spindles and hubs even the rotor hats, and they're all the same. For the time being I just ended up using a spacer to correct the problem.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Does your k member keep the steering rack at the stock height ? If the steering rack sits lower like the 96-04 mustang then Its possible that you may want spindles from a 96-04. The steering knockle is different and moves the wheels out farther.

The 94-95 moves the wheel out 3 mm farther then stock and the 96-04 is moved out 8 mm from stock or 5 mm from the 94-95.

But switching spindles would only be a good thing if you steering rack sits lower then stock

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The steering rack sits at the original location.. I'm using 94-95 spindles on both sides. I also have 98's at hand but I don't see a point in installing them

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
I think the biggest thing here is that ONE wheel is in further, not both. I'd say you have some fitment issue. Either an arm that is shorter, or the mounting point on the k is not in the right spot.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think the biggest thing here is that ONE wheel is in further, not both. I'd say you have some fitment issue. Either an arm that is shorter, or the mounting point on the k is not in the right spot.
Yeah, maybe one of the arms from UPR is shorter or longer? I'm not too sure because I don't know how 04 cobra wheels fit in the front.

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,965 Posts
Measure from outer edge of a arm to the bar where the a arm mounts. Have you had the car aligned yet? Also, the strut has some asjustment in it where it mounts to the spindle, if the a arms are proper length, then loosen that side's two strut to spindle bolts. Pull out on the spindle and strut, and tighten the bolts while keeping this outward pressure on it. Sounds like either the spindles arent the same, the a arm mounting points are off(doubtful), or strut holes arent correct. As fir coil overs hitting, I ran 18x9's with no issues. If it hits, your springs are too stiff, get some softer ones.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts