Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I'm going to be converting my 67 I6 into a 302 V8 (or maybe a 427W stroker) and was planning on a 9" crate rear end from Currie/Quick Performance. I came across an ad today for a used 9" Ford rear end for 1967-1971 Comet, Cougar, Mustang, Fairlane. It's 59.25 inches, 5 lug, non posi, original has not been taken apart, has not been painted, 28 spline, gears 3.25 or 3.00, disc brakes are oem ford. He wants $500 for it - should I take it and have it rebuilt with a posi third member, 31 spline axles and new gear, or just get the crate and not have to worry? Looks like a crate rear end will run me upwards of $2K, could I rebuilt it for less and make out on the deal?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Good Locker= $450
31 spline Axles= $400
New Bearings and seals for center section= $100

Plus one advantage to a "non-stock" rear end is you can get the large wheel bearing housing as to most (almost all) original mustang housings were small bearing.
So you would save a little bit of money. These numbers are not including labor so if you have a shop rebuild the center section tack on another $100-$200. I just did this swap and bought a complete housing and axle package, I had an old center section that I used. I paid $900 for housing and axles with the perches already welded on. Hope this helps!

Edit: It is nice that the ad includes disc brakes. If you bought a crate rear you would have to find some type of brakes either disc or drum. You can buy a drum kit for probably around $300 and a disc setup will be closer to $600 or so.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts