·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good or bad idea to buy a refurbished tlok w/ 4.10 gears? Thoughts guys? thx

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
i got used 4.10's off a ford ranger. always buy a new differential though, you really dont want a used one. i had the 4.10's and a ford racing 7.5 differential installed and everything is fine. i actually have very little maybe even no gear whine at all. i think factory 4.10 gears are pretty much the same quality as ford racing 4.10 gears. and ford doesnt make gears for the 7.5" anymore and richmond and motive arent as good compared to the fords.

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
i got used 4.10's off a ford ranger. always buy a new differential though, you really dont want a used one. i had the 4.10's and a ford racing 7.5 differential installed and everything is fine. i actually have very little maybe even no gear whine at all. i think factory 4.10 gears are pretty much the same quality as ford racing 4.10 gears. and ford doesnt make gears for the 7.5" anymore and richmond and motive arent as good compared to the fords.
I was under the impression Motive actually made gears for Ford for a while :dunno

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I was under the impression Motive actually made gears for Ford for a while :dunno
Motive did make most of fords gears for the 7.5, especially towards their end of production.

Personally I wouldn't install used gears. You'll never match up the exact same wear pattern and gears do wear in the first couple hundred miles after an install. New gears are what, $150? The difference in price between new and used can't be that big.

As for the t-lok if it's high mileage at all you might want to look into a rebuild kit for it. There isn't really much that changes or wears on them except for the clutch plates.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Motive did make most of fords gears for the 7.5, especially towards their end of production.

Personally I wouldn't install used gears. You'll never match up the exact same wear pattern and gears do wear in the first couple hundred miles after an install. New gears are what, $150? The difference in price between new and used can't be that big.

As for the t-lok if it's high mileage at all you might want to look into a rebuild kit for it. There isn't really much that changes or wears on them except for the clutch plates.
i got mine for $30 though lol. and there absolutely fine so it doesnt matter to me. and motive has gone to **** lately idk if its the new management or something but my friend bought a set for his 09 v6 and they didnt fit correctly! the guy at the shop said the motive gear was defected. he called americanmscule where he bought them and they said that motive isnt the same quality they used to be and they gave him a refund. he had to buy richmond from summit.

so i kind of have mixed thoughts on new motive gears now.

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
i got mine for $30 though lol. and there absolutely fine so it doesnt matter to me. and motive has gone to **** lately idk if its the new management or something but my friend bought a set for his 09 v6 and they didnt fit correctly! the guy at the shop said the motive gear was defected. he called americanmscule where he bought them and they said that motive isnt the same quality they used to be and they gave him a refund. he had to buy richmond from summit.

so i kind of have mixed thoughts on new motive gears now.
Huh, that's weird. I had my Motive 4.10s installed a year ago and they fit fine. Only complaint I have is a little gear whine which I've heard numerous people complain about.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Huh, that's weird. I had my Motive 4.10s installed a year ago and they fit fine. Only complaint I have is a little gear whine which I've heard numerous people complain about.
yeah im sure most are ok, he probably just had bad luck lol. i just now to stick to ford parts when you can

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Yeah, I've never had any problems with motive gears and I've installed a few sets now.

Maybe the shop didn't know what they were doing or he just happened to get the one in a million defect. I've never heard of anyone else having problems with them but mistakes happen at all levels.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Yeah, I've never had any problems with motive gears and I've installed a few sets now.

Maybe the shop didn't know what they were doing or he just happened to get the one in a million defect. I've never heard of anyone else having problems with them but mistakes happen at all levels.
well the place that did it, they guy has set up about a hundred mustang rears in his life so he knows what hes doing lol. hes the same guy who did mine;) and i have no whine, well maybe i do but my exhaust overpowers any whine sound if i do have any.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts