Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a used tuner, one in mind already has 3 custom tunes on it. The car that it was being used on is automatic and mine is a manual tranny. I would like to use his custom tunes on my car, is it possible?

·
Registered
171 Posts
not with those tunes, the device must be unlocked to use on other cars. (limit 3) then get a tune for your car emailed to you and download to the device then plug and play

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh **** i forgot about that. But once he turns his back to stock, isnt it unlocked then? So when he turns his back to stock, he can give it to me. It locks on mine, and still have the tunes installed. Am i correct or no? This is an sct 4-bank Eliminator chip if that clears anything up

·
Registered
171 Posts
yea if he sets his computer back to stock its unlocked to be used on 2 more cars. you wont be able to use his tunes at all. you can email bama and they can send you a tune

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont understand why i cant use his tunes though. Could you please explain it? His 4 bank eliminator has 4 tunes on the actual chip. If he sets his vehicle to stock, why wouldnt the chip still have the 4 tunes? I could just plug it into my car, and set those tunes to mine. Is this wrong?

·
Registered
171 Posts
The chip would have the tunes but when you order the chip or tunes they are specific to your car. say that tune is set for a CAI and you have stock then it wont work. the only way it would work is if you both had identical parts and cars, even same year. those tunes were tuned for his car, not yours. the chances you guys have same parts is extremly unlikley

·
Registered
171 Posts
The things that the tunes are for are probably different than your car. EX: the tunes are for stage 2 cams, and your car dosent have cams then it will mess your engine up. you just dont know what the tunes are for. getting new ones are real easy

·
Thrbfirs..... Meat Eggs
4,398 Posts
Also, when you get the SCT tuner from AM/Bama, they include the lifetime tunes. I don't think that it's transferable.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ohh okay Thanks for clearing that up. Say we did have the same mods, but his car was automatic and mine was manual. Would the tunes work then?

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I am in the market for a used tuner, one in mind already has 3 custom tunes on it. The car that it was being used on is automatic and mine is a manual tranny. I would like to use his custom tunes on my car, is it possible?
Your PCM would have to have the same strategy as the other car for the tunes to work. The strategy is the operating system/application that controls the engine using data from the tune. The strategy code is five characters, four alpha and one numeric, like RYAF1, CDAN2, etc.

There is also a boxcode, or catchword, that defines the particular tune data loaded into the PCM. It is a four character code with three alphas and one numeric, ex: XSH2, MDE3, etc.

The boxcode will be on a label on the PCM, if you can find out yours and the code from the "other" car I can look up the strategy codes and determine if they would be compatible. However this would only assure that the engine would run. As tunes were for an automatic the PCM would be expecting certain inputs from the transmission that would of course not be there, and throw DTCs and perhaps muck about with engine control too. I have never run an automatic tune on a manual car so I cannot say for sure.

One other question, are you talking about about a handheld tuner, or the 4-bank daughter board ("chip")?

If the latter I do not believe it is married to the owner's PCM. Simply removing it will cause the PCM to run whatever tune was last flashed to its EEPROM, most often the stock tune. The tunes on the board can only be modified by using SCT's "chip burner" and appropriate software.

I run Delta Force's 8-bank "chip", here's a photo of it and the USB burner:

·
The Little 2v That Could
1,623 Posts
Like others said, it may be unlocked, but if it has 3 tunes on it then it's full and must be wiped clean so you can add your tunes. A few weeks ago I picked up a tuner used, unmarried from the previous car, w/ 1 tune on it, leaving me with 2 spots left.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts