Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Used SCT tuner for sale locally. He said he has free tunes for life, but no PC cable.
1. Is there any way to transfer the free tunes for life?
2. Where can I pick up the cable?

·
Noob
828 Posts
you can get them at most electronic stores like radio shack. Thats where i got mine, its a printer cable lol. But yes you can transfer the tunes, just call american muscle and they will help you with that, thats alos what I did. I bought mine off a friend.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, thanks!!

·
Noob
828 Posts
No prob! :)

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, bought the tuner... my car is an 07, his was an 06. He has tunes written for an 06, looks like 87 street, 87 performance, 91 race. Will it hurt to load these tunes on my car? I loaded a strategy tune, but not the custom tunes.

·
Noob
828 Posts
Yes because you will have different engine codes. You need to order new tunes specifically for your car.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Called AM, was told free tunes for life do not transfer. Can anyone else chime in on this?

·
Registered
276 Posts
You can not transfer the free tunes for life.

AM still has to make money on their tunes. $150 is really cheap, honestly.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I realize that they have to make money. That was not the question. But if they did transfer, I did not want to pay for something that was already free. Would you?

·
Noob
828 Posts
Ok get the original order number for that scanner from your friend. Then call them with all that information and just use his name... From then on just order them online and you should be set.

·
Eat Springs, **** Valves
9,332 Posts
Ok get the original order number for that scanner from your friend. Then call them with all that information and just use his name... From then on just order them online and you should be set.
Or just ****ing pay for them.

Tunes for life is for the original owner and its only for the time he owns the car. If the original owner sells the car and buys a new one, they have to buy into TFL again. Should have done your homework better before buying the tuner.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Would the tuner even work in another car if the tunes from AM are still on there?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did anyone even read my last post? I HAVE NO PROBLEM PAYING FOR THE TUNES. IF IT WAS UNNECESSARY TO PAY I DID NOT WANT TO PAY AGAIN. REPEAT: I will pay for new tunes. Jesus.....

·
Hi I'm Sean
3,962 Posts
Did anyone even read my last post? I HAVE NO PROBLEM PAYING FOR THE TUNES. IF IT WAS UNNECESSARY TO PAY I DID NOT WANT TO PAY AGAIN. REPEAT: I will pay for new tunes. Jesus.....
Do you not pay ANY attention at all?! ****ing A!

AM says they do not transfer and if AM says they do not transfer they thats it, also as been said before you and the person you bought it from have different engine codes and the tune will not load to your car. As anotherS197gt said they only work for that specific vehicle so you should have done more research.

·
Turbo Maniac
437 Posts
If the OP paid a good price for the used tuner and appeals to the AM rep for help in purchasing tunes, he should end up OK. The reps like to maintain good will with the forum members. Just be straight forward and don't get hinky and you should still end up paying less than if you had bought new. Good luck OP.

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
Tunes are written based on the mods on your car. Even if ECU codes matched, unless you have the EXACT same mods it will not work. Call Bama, or whoever, and buy some tunes for your car. They will e-mail them to you. Then you load them in place of the former owners custom tunes via the radio shack cable, and then load one of them into your car. Free tunes for life means they will adjust your tunes for new mods as you build your car, up to a point. They don't do F/I tunes because there is more of a risk factor involved once you reach those power levels and custom dyno tuning is suggested. You can't transfer the lifetime tunes. That is like buying a car from a guy who bought lifetime brakes for his car from Midas or whatever. You don't get that when you buy his car. That's just common sense.

·
Hardon Enthusiast
2,291 Posts
anothers197 needs to chill the **** out lol!
I dont see why another needs to chill out, all he said was to pay for tunes. if anyone should chill its the OP

Like stated before 150 bucks for 3 tunes is cheap to begin with, add in the fact that they are for life, good luck finding that elsewhere. If you are going to buy something used you should do your research before getting it. had you tried this with a diablosport tuner you probably would have gotten one that wouldnt even work for your car.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is my last post in this thread. I am buying into TFL. No problem. I don't have a problem with it. But...................................... If you bought an iPod with apps and music on it, would you erase everything and re-download so that Apple can make their money? That's all I was trying to say. It was unclear to me if the TFL transferred. If they did, I did not want to unnecessarily pay for them again. Since they don't I will willingly and gladly pay $150, because it's still a helluva deal. Can we please put this to rest now?

·
Hardon Enthusiast
2,291 Posts
This is my last post in this thread. I am buying into TFL. No problem. I don't have a problem with it. But...................................... If you bought an iPod with apps and music on it, would you erase everything and re-download so that Apple can make their money? That's all I was trying to say. It was unclear to me if the TFL transferred. If they did, I did not want to unnecessarily pay for them again. Since they don't I will willingly and gladly pay $150, because it's still a helluva deal. Can we please put this to rest now?
If I didnt have an itunes account then yes. otherwise you would never be able to change anything on the ipod or add new music...:)

on a side note, is the tuner still married to the previous car? if so your going to have to send it in and pay to get it unlocked. I would make sure of this before you go put money into something you dont know will even work. If it is I would see if you could get your money back. 100 bucks to unlock it, 150 bucks for tunes and you probably paid 100 bucks for the tuner. you could have bought a new one for that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts