Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 mustang that needs a new motor. I was wondering what year motors are the same. I've heard 96-98 but im not sure

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
There is other really small differences but I dont know them. But basically they are the same.

Man HMUSN I thought you died or someting

·
Registered
990 Posts
if you have to get a new motor, why not a v8 then?

·
Registered
393 Posts
If youre early 3.8 w/ single port ya might look into a super coupe build... same general numbers as a stock v8 swap but I think less hassel, maybe? If you have all the parts :) I could be wrong - if so, disregard my post =P

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
maybe a non-pi v8 motor^

a stock supercoupe has 220 horsepower or so.

a stock 96-98 Gt has around that. the new edge has 260 and the s197 has 300.

·
Registered
990 Posts
yeah i know its alot more involved. idk if it was me in his situation i would do i 5.4 in a heartbeat

·
Registered
393 Posts
True.. but work + hp for the money it's not a bad idea. I realize we could go on and on with the whole idea that, if you do this why not just this, then if this then why not this. I stop at if you're gonna drop in a motor and want v8 power - I like the super coupe :) If you wanna go faster, yea ur gonna need 8 cylinders

·
Registered
393 Posts
yeah i know its alot more involved. idk if it was me in his situation i would do i 5.4 in a heartbeat
My only objection is that I bought a complete 3.8 split port 99 (no MIRC) for $100 w/ a bad rod bearing. Tear down and rebuild for ~ $1200 and you're back up and running for cheap and more hp considering he's single port upgrading to split port... But like my previous post, the more money and time you have the faster you can make it go!

·
Registered
393 Posts
It's all in how ya built it man. I have seen 600 + HP 4 bangers.
Word! My buddy has a 2.3t monster!! I'm a full bolt on V6 split port w/ 75 shot wet just to keep up... and he's building a faster one. You can build those motors with a good hp number for a good price as well, I agree w/ u!

Dropping in something thats not your stock block is always gonna be labor intensive. Or just require the perfect online walkthrough...

·
Registered
393 Posts
HMUSN this is so offtopic but I think you're avatar's getting a BJ below camera view... it's trippin me out...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the replies. Would it be hard to change it over to a V-8? I heard it is expensive as far as computer stuff goes

1 - 20 of 20 Posts