Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey im new to the forums but im trying to turn my automatic sixxer into a autocross/street car. whats the first thing I should do to besides handling?
moneys not a issue as im already saving for it I plan to spend around 15k in total... I know its a a lot for a v6 but this was my first car and I love it

·
Registered
222 Posts
Welcome to the forums! When it comes to autocross, they have classes for every type of car. It's more about the drivers skill than the cars potential. Start with the suspension though. If you want your car to be as competitive as possible, forget the engine for now. Your first mod should be weld-in full length subframe connectors. Good sticky tires are going to be your mod with the largest impact. In autocross, you'll rarely get above 60 MPH, even in a quick car, so your focus needs to be suspension, but anything to help with low end torque and acceleration will help as well. With an automatic transmission, I'd suggest a good tune with a gear swap. 4.10 gears will give you the best acceleration, and a tune will firm up your gear shifts. There's much more you can do, especially with a 15K budget. If you have that much to spend, you'll want to eventually go forced induction, then you'll have more power than you actually need for autocross. But like I said before, it's all about grip and cornering. You'll want to eliminate wheel hop and body roll as much as possible. Don't forget to upgrade those brakes as well. And lastly, any kind of weight savings you can get will help with all 3 phases of your game (acceleration, braking, cornering). Hope this helps with getting you started.

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
1) tires
2) go autocross as the car sits.

You don't need some crazy suspension setup and 500rwhp to autocross. You can be competitive with a stock car (yes v6) if you've got the skill.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts