Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at doing brake upgrade on my 98 v6. I am looking at doing a cobra brake swap on my car. I found a 03 cobra brake set up for my car. I am 90% sure i want to dive into this but i am have a few questions that i cant find anywhere. My first question was would the cobra brakes fit my stock gt 17" wheels, i found they will work. Second question is that the brakes come with the lines and banjo bolts from the 03 cobra, now will those lines work with my stock brake lines on the car? Also I will be doing the stainless steel line upgrade in the future, but as for right now will they 03 cobra brake line from the caliper fit into the lines on my car. Next question will i have issues with my master cylinder. I do not have ABS on my car either. And will i need to get rid of my dust shield as well?

·
M112'd Sixxer
1,703 Posts
everything should swap over.. and i would remove the dust shields.

my stock soft lines work with Bullitt calipers.

·
The soul stealing Ginger
5,864 Posts
Out of curiosity, what is the reason for doing a bigger brake conversion?

·
2013 5.0
2,983 Posts
Out of curiosity, what is the reason for doing a bigger brake conversion?
A: Visual Mod
B: In theory (not sure of in practice) the larger brake surface area increases the stopping power.

I suppose one could sit back and wonder why Ford would choose to use larger brakes and rotors on a larger, more powerful vehicle than the GT/V6. I doubt they'd spend more money and hike up the price for nonsense.

·
The soul stealing Ginger
5,864 Posts
A: Visual Mod
B: In theory (not sure of in practice) the larger brake surface area increases the stopping power.

I suppose one could sit back and wonder why Ford would choose to use larger brakes and rotors on a larger, more powerful vehicle than the GT/V6. I doubt they'd spend more money and hike up the price for nonsense.
I was more asking OP. wondering what is mainly for. if its for visual then just paint your calipers, what does he need more stopping power unless there is something i dont know like a dropped 302

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
To save yourself some money, jazzer has a write up on how to make the gt brakes as good as cobra brakes, its under stickies

·
Fee Fie Foe Fum
1,724 Posts
Arent these Pbr dual piston calipers the same stuff they put on the f350s lol.. If it can stop a big ass duallyI assume itll stop me..just do the nice lines and what not theyll make a big difference..

·
Zippy Zip Custom \/
1,167 Posts
Slowing down a weighted one ton and stopping a speeding car are two different things.

·
hi you can call me mater
4,845 Posts
I'm not fast enough so I won't need it :(

03cristian

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am mainly looking for looks. But I am looking for a bit mor power. I did paint my calipers all ready but they look tiny with 18x9 fr500's. the center of the wheel seem to be close to the same size as in the picture

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
i did notice a huge difference in my full cobra brake swap from stock but i did go with SS lines, hawk hps pads and good fluid + bigger front and rear cobra brakes from old worn out stock ones

i also just got tired of looking at the small stock rotors through the saleens

1 - 20 of 23 Posts