Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm usually in the 05-09 section but my nephew just bought a 2000 V6 as his first car and I want to get him started on the right track with modding it.

First thing I'd like him to do after we get the oil changed to synthetic tomorrow is order him a new cai since the one on their has a bizarre hole in the elbow. Not sure how it got there but I figured it should be replaced. I'd like to pick him up a used one but don't know what brands are reputable for the 99-04 3.8l. I know JLT, C&L, Steeda, Air Raid, all make good ones for my 07 GT but don't know what I should be looking to pick up for him.

Next stop after the cai intake is an xcal3 but he's gonna have to save a little more before he can afford it.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
MM's V6 Hater
13,422 Posts
What's a cold air intake intake? Just messing around...

Jlt would be what I go with. But I wouldn't waste a dime on 'perf mods' on a v6. Waste of money. Maybe visual that's about it.

·
super serious
6,254 Posts
:withhomo :(

Just hold on to that money and put it towards a GT in the future.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm, so not even worth putting a decent cai and tune? I know just cai and tune adds a legit 25 rwhp on an 05-09 GT, would it do anything on a 99-04 v6?

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And if it matters, I noticed when looking under the hood that it already has shorty headers on it. Also I suspect it was blown and put back to NA before he bought it since it has gauges inside. Unless the dude was all out ricing putting gauges in an NA v6 lol.

·
MM's V6 Hater
13,422 Posts
You'll be out few 100 and it'll still be slow. If its his first car, show him the ropes on maintaining and fixing problems as they come up.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok I'll take your advice and tell him it's not worth dumping money into as far as performance goes. I'll still teach him how to properly maintain and make routine repairs on his own. I still don't like the idea of the hole in the intake elbow though, so I might just pick up a cheap used cai anyways. I guess $400 for an xcal3 just isn't worth it on one of these.

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
99-00 v6's have an externat IAT sensor, make sure there isnt a random sensor or wire hanging loose, there normally is a hole in the elbow for the sensor to go into, give me a few minutes and i will see if i can find some pics for you

and no it is not worth doing the "little mods" my advise would be to just do maintenance or go big, so in his situation i would only keep it running good. the other option would be if he is into mustangs and planning on upgrading to a GT one day, only do mods that could be transfered to the GT, like wheels and other visual stuff

edit, here is a stock elbow with a aftermarket piece and filter, the bung on the left is the IAT

crappy pic,

this is what the sensor looks like

on this cai, the hole just to the left of the MAF would have the sensor it it, or a plug on 01-04 models

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the great advice. I'll take a better look tomorrow but the hole didn't look like it was for a temp sensor or breather tube or anything that should be there. It kinda looked like somebody just stabbed it with a screwdriver and made a messy hole. I think he'll be fine with just doing appearance mods. He's 17 so he only makes like $9 an hour and is just happy to have a mustang and a license.

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
Thanks for the great advice. I'll take a better look tomorrow but the hole didn't look like it was for a temp sensor or breather tube or anything that should be there. It kinda looked like somebody just stabbed it with a screwdriver and made a messy hole. I think he'll be fine with just doing appearance mods. He's 17 so he only makes like $9 an hour and is just happy to have a mustang and a license.

i got my car when i was 16, thought it was cool as ****, but if i could do it all over again i would have just left it stock and sold it for a GT or cobra once i had more money. Im not against modding a v6 but it takes a lot of money to do it right, anything you can just "bolt on" isnt going to do much other than lighten your wallet. To make decent power you need to get into the motor with a good cam, and ported or ported/big valve heads and ported intakes

i have done all that and am about to put my turbo kit on in the spring, but ive spend a TON of money since i got it 3 years ago.

and if it is an unessesary hole, i would either get a cheap stock elbow or a cheap used CAI from eBay or craigslist, it will run better if its letting unmetered air in now

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks south, that was really helpful. I see the iat and the maf locations but the hole on the aftermarket cai he has is further up closer to the intake manifold and from the looks of those pictures there looks to be a breather tube in that location. I think that's what's missing. The piece of tubing that the hose is supposed to connect onto must have broken off. I'm a little worried about dirty getting sucked into his engine.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He'll eventually want a GT anyways, especially since this ones an auto. You guys are right, he's better off saving his money or at least sticking with mods that will transfer to a GT later on.

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
Thanks south, that was really helpful. I see the iat and the maf locations but the hole on the aftermarket cai he has is further up closer to the intake manifold and from the looks of those pictures there looks to be a breather tube in that location. I think that's what's missing. The piece of tubing that the hose is supposed to connect onto must have broken off. I'm a little worried about dirty getting sucked into his engine.

yeah there is normally a nipple there on CAI's and on the stock elbow there is also a hole and then a little plastic double ended bracket goes into the hose and the rubber elbow

it should run better if you get that sorted out

1 - 14 of 14 Posts