Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started assembling the engine yesterday. This is a stock rebuild using the stock powder metal rods and hypereutectic pistons (sealed power).

The block was align honed, bored and honed to +0.020, and decked for MLS gaskets. Crank is ground 10/10 and rods are resized +0.002. The one rod that had a spun bearing was replaced with another core.

I am installing an engine kit from RPM.

I have the crank and piston/rod assemblies installed and torqued. There are new rod bolts as per Ford's recommendation.

I bought the following KD ring compressor tool which made installing the pistons very easy. I highly recommend it.

KD Piston Ring Compressors

I also have the tool for setting the cam angle sensor.

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
right on dude sounds like fun...

you sticking with the stock top end? or is it going to be worked a little

·
Registered
165 Posts
Good job, have fun!

This is a stock rebuild.........
Are you gonna do a little something with the cam...?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually the V6 motor is being kept totally stock. It's claimed to be 190 HP as is. It's my wife's car and she is happy with it. It's really a daily driver and most usefull stock. Also gasoline keeps getting more and more expensive.

The engine is all together now except for bolting up the oil pan. For some reason the Felpro conversion gasket set didn't have the gasket for the oil pick up tube so I ordered it from Ford. The lower intake and exhaust manifolds are on. I plan to install the upper intake after the engine is in the car for better access around the back of the engine. Otherwise I will install everything else with the engine out of the car.

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
just out of curiosity....why did you rebuild the motor only to keep it stock? Was there a problem with the original motor?
did you not read the post above?
its his wifes car and is a DD

otherwise car ran extremely low on oil and he ended up welding a bear or 2 to a rod

·
Banned
808 Posts
did you not read the post above?
its his wifes car and is a DD

otherwise car ran extremely low on oil and he ended up welding a bear or 2 to a rod
check your pms

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
are you doing any small porting and polishing while the intakes are off... there are people that will do that for cheap on this site, don't know if they are any good though

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ah i see...some how i did miss that. So u pretty much just had RPM build you a stock 3.8 that has much better durability.
No. I bought an engine kit (bearings, pistons and rings,oil pump, lifters, gaskets etc.) from Ron's Precision Machine and had the block and crankshaft machined locally and I reassembled it. It's now ready to go back in other than installing the oil pan. I was waiting on one gasket that goes between the oil pickup tube and block and for some reason was not included in the Felpro gasket set. I ordered that from Ford and it is now in.

The engine is completely stock.

I have taken a lot of digital photos of the engine assembly and thought I might post them somewhere. Though the following link has a lot of detailed photos for a similar Ford engine.

Muscle Mustang small-block 302 engine re-build

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
photobucket.com ... thats my favorite hosting site... but i use flickr just because its a bigger photo site when it comes to professionals

1 - 15 of 15 Posts