Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a v6 2002 mustang i was just wondering should i get the 3.7 or 4.1 gears? its a manual i just want your opinons

·
Registered
631 Posts
Thats a matter of personal preference. I like the 4.10s myself.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is the differance?

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
3.73: Use of first gear, I little less acceleration than 4.10

4.10: No need for first gear, better acceleration.

3.73 are easier to live with DDing Yo!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

so using a 4.10 i dont have a first gear but accelerate faster and with a 3.73 i keep and and what happends?

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
so using a 4.10 i dont have a first gear but accelerate faster and with a 3.73 i keep and and what happends?
You have a 1st gear. But if you drive a manual, like me, you'll end up rolling through stop signs a lot to avoid going back into 1st. When you take off in first it'll take you maybe 2 seconds before you're at 3k RPM and ready to shift into 2nd. I personally love my 4.10s but if you don't like shifting a lot, then go with the 3.73s. You won't accelerate quite as fast, but you'll be able to stay in each gear a little longer. I personally recommend the 4.10s. They're fun, plain and simple. But you're going to end up with a lead foot :shiftyeyes

·
Registered
2,482 Posts

I wouldn't recommend racing anyone starting in 2nd :p
I have 4.10s and they are very nice. Also when you upgrade gears either get a 8.8 rear or a tlock for the 7.5 Both rears will allow you to put power down to both rear wheels.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I wouldn't recommend racing anyone starting in 2nd :p
I have 4.10s and they are very nice. Also when you upgrade gears either get a 8.8 rear or a tlock for the 7.5 Both rears will allow you to put power down to both rear wheels.
I never said anything about racing just daily driving. I figure since OP is new to it all (im assuming) I think he would be better of with 3.73.

I have 4.10s and a tlock :p

·
Registered
631 Posts
See OP this is what i mean by personal preference... If your just starting to drive a stick i highly suggest you go with 3.73s till you get the hang of things. I just read your not even 16 yet.

·
Pays in respect
2,891 Posts
I'm getting 3.73s because 1st gear is a waste of time for me already, no acceleration + short gear- second is where it's at. But I'm still an amateur at manuals. Learned 3 months ago!

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
See OP this is what i mean by personal preference... If your just starting to drive a stick i highly suggest you go with 3.73s till you get the hang of things. I just read your not even 16 yet.
If he's just starting with a stick, he should probably stick with the stock 3.27s until he gets good at driving a stick. No need for chirping tires until he's good and ready :p

·
Registered
631 Posts
Well I'd hate to talk anyone out of a good mod. But unfortunately, you still need the driver mod more!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If he's just starting with a stick, he should probably stick with the stock 3.27s until he gets good at driving a stick. No need for chirping tires until he's good and ready :p
Whats chirping tires?

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Whats chirping tires?
It's that chirping noise the tires make when you take off quickly or slam through gears. The higher your gear ratio, the easier it is to do. When I had my stock (3.27) gears it was a bit of a challenge compared to how much easier it is with my 4.10 gears now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts