Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all it's been awhile, but I've come to request some aid about a few things that I am unsure of.

I have 2 pictures of parts under the hood that I have no idea what to call and would like if someone can identify them and tell me the basic function. I was switching out the oil the other day and noticed these two parts seemed to be either missing something, or not connected properly. I have not noticed anything different about the drive, and I assume these parts are no big deal. But you know what they say when you assume...

Okay so just to give you a key to the images, the square is the same piece in both pictures (in case you couldn't tell) and the circled part is what I feel like is just missing a cap or something. I am unsure of what the piece is in the square or what either of these things do.

Lastly, I have a ticking problem. It's always been there as long as I can remember. It only happens when I start the car after it has been sitting awhile. I was told by some it was an exhaust leak, and others have said it was just a stiff belt that needed to 'belt softner'(?). I have tried showing my mechanic cousin but obviously it never happens when I take it to him.

Thanks in Advance!

New Problem:

This occurs when I apply the brakes only. The more I apply the less it pops/squeaks. It happens only on the front passenger side. This side has always popped but not the consistent fast paced kind as heard in the video. The video is quiet and will require you to listen very close. Around 7-12 is the noise at a fast pace, and then a few seconds afterwards is the popping it usually makes.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,732 Posts
The circle in the first pic is a freeon port you should be able to find a cap for it at any auto parts store.. The wire in the second pic is a ground that attaches to your hood.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay and that is what i thought they were but again I didn't want to assume anything.

Is the freon port missing a cap? And where is the ground supposed to be attached?

·
Premium Member
8,732 Posts
Yes it is. The ground attaches to one of the bolts on the hood hinge I believe. Haven't owned a new edge in a long time though......

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
The first pic normally just has a cap on it. It's the shraeder valve for adding more freon into the ac system.

Second pic usually bolts to one of the hood bolts on the passenger side iirc.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
I had this pic in my photo bucket. You can see the cap for the ac valve in the bottom left corner.

Will see if I can find a pic showing the groud.

Only other pic I have. Can kind of see the ground going up to the hood

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank You both for your quick responses. I am trying to keep my car in the best shape on a extremely tight budget.

Now I do not believe my Dad undid that ground, but before I go trying to put it back on my battery right now is being held in with some wiring because the screw that you tighten down in that little nub that holds your battery still broke (very rusted. surprised it didn't disentigrate) and I havn't had the time to get the other piece that is still left out. This ground wire will NOT affect the battery, correct? What in fact is this wire grounding?

if it seems like i'm being overly caution, it's because i am.If anything happens I don't have the funds to repair it...

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
Instead of worrying about the ground I would just hook it up. Should take like a minute. Only have to take out 1 bolt. Just make sure the other bolt on that hinge is nice and tight so you don't loose the alignment on your hood positioning.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes it is. The ground attaches to one of the bolts on the hood hinge I believe. Haven't owned a new edge in a long time though......
I'd personally like to upgrade to a 2013... but I also want to keep this car and get some decent parts put on it. Exhaust, CAI, Headers, Tune up...

nothing much

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Instead of worrying about the ground I would just hook it up. Should take like a minute. Only have to take out 1 bolt. Just make sure the other bolt on that hinge is nice and tight so you don't loose the alignment on your hood positioning.

Do you have a picture I can reference to see where you are talking about? I'm a visual learner.

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
Sorry it's been a while since I looked under the hood. If I had access to my car right now I would go take one for you. Looks like it comes down from under the hood liner and bolts to the engine bay by the hood hinge. Found this old pic on my phone, best I have right now.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome that atleast gives me an idea of where to start.

Are they supposed to go to the hood hinge? because mine looks like its coming from a different spot than yours. Yours comes down from the hood, mine seems to be going towards the windshield... I'll have to re look at it soon.

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
Awesome that atleast gives me an idea of where to start.

Are they supposed to go to the hood hinge? because mine looks like its coming from a different spot than yours. Yours comes down from the hood, mine seems to be going towards the windshield... I'll have to re look at it soon.
Sorry man. Im not sure. It's been over a year since I've looked under my hood for more than a quick second to check oil and such.

·
Fee Fie Foe Fum
1,724 Posts
Ya no question man..that ground wire goes between bolt and hinge at pass side hood hinge.

·
Wha...?
683 Posts
That strap is a ground for the hood insulation or whatever the hell it's called. It's supposed to help with radio interference or something, also stopping static electricity from building up in the liner/insulation. It should be attached to lower left corner of the liner when looking at it from the front of the car.

As for the ticking noise, that could a number of different things. Exhaust leak, spark knock, lifter, rocker, etc. A high quality recording of the noise would be needed to diagnose over the 'net. Even then it wouldn't be 100% accurate.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Alright all check the OP(also posted below) for a new problem... I have a noise that just started tonight. :(

only happens when I apply the brakes, and it is occuring on the front passenger side.

video here:

You'll have to turn your volume up. I apologize, you can easily hear it on my phone but youtube not as good.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts