Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I've heard some V6ers idling like V8s. Obviously they don't sound like V8s when they rev, but they sound pretty good at idle. My friend wants to know what to do to his '03 V6 to make it sound nice? I told him to change his mid pipe and catback, but I wasn't sure what brand would sound good for that. I figured a full Bassani system, but what do you guys think?

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I told him as well, but I wasn't too sure. When I say idling like a V8, I'm strictly talking about the sound of the exhaust. Is it obtainable working only with a mid pipe and catback?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
That's what I told him as well, but I wasn't too sure. When I say idling like a V8, I'm strictly talking about the sound of the exhaust. Is it obtainable working only with a mid pipe and catback?
yes and no... you can make it have a low deep growl, but will never actually sound exactly like a V8 because 6ers have a different firing order (V8 is odd firing, 6ers are even firing)

H-pipe and flowmaster original 40's :yes

·
Registered
477 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I say idle like a V8, I don't mean the rumble, I just mean the tone. In my sentence, idle is just when the car is sitting there, not the same idle we all know and love :D. Thanks for all the answers!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Chris you owe me a new pair of pants... mine are now ruined!!

·
Banned
636 Posts
When I say idle like a V8, I don't mean the rumble, I just mean the tone. In my sentence, idle is just when the car is sitting there, not the same idle we all know and love :D. Thanks for all the answers!
Not sure what you mean, to me they are one in the same. The rumble is part of the tone. But anyway I sorta get what you are saying. The only way to get a little of both is with long tubes, a mid pipe, and a catback. Then if you REALLY want rumble then get a cam with a lot of lope.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess I'm just talking about the tone. Not the rumble, but just the somewhat deep sound. Is it possible with just changing out the mid pipes and the catback? By the looks of it, it seems that it's not possible. Thanks for the answers :D.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I know exactly what you mean... any exhaust can be loud and rumbling... but loud doesn't mean it's good... you want a deep healthy tone

all kinds of different exhaust setups give these 6ers different tones...
if you want deep, then H-pipe for sure... x-pipe may flow better, but can sound raspy

find a muffler shop that will let you listen to a few different mufflers on it while they install it, cause I've heard all kinds of different sounds from different mufflers... some flow original40's have a deep idle like the video I posted and some don't, I've heard some MAC setups sound raspy and others deep, while others like dansby's old Pypes setup he used to have made his car sound like a deisel truck :lol

it's kinda hard to tell with youtube videos, best bet is to find other 6er's in the area and hear their setup in person :dunno

·
Registered
70 Posts
yes and no... you can make it have a low deep growl, but will never actually sound exactly like a V8 because 6ers have a different firing order (V8 is odd firing, 6ers are even firing)

H-pipe and flowmaster original 40's

Hey you got cats on that H-pipe?

·
Registered
118 Posts
v6's in high rpms are very raspy and high pitched

1 - 17 of 17 Posts