Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been neglecting to post about this for a while now but here goes.

My exhaust manifolds are a little leaking and im gonna swap out the gaskets too here soon and get the manifolds all sealed up.

basically my car while under accelleration will sputter and struggle somewhat to take off like it used to.

now i was running the car with a near dead battery for a while. id say a good month or so. having to get jumped a few times along the way while waiting to afford a new one on top of vehicle registration and bills. anywhore, could running a near dead battery for a while have caused issues with the spark plugs or build up?

i swapped out the fuel filter tonight and it seems to have fixed a large amount of the issue. not near as bad. but should i swap out the plugs too? i just changed them 10k miles ago. or should i be looking at the fuel pump or the coilpack and wires?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
The exhaust leak, however so slight, is considered a vac leak in barest form so that can cause some sputter. Prolly not just that though. Have you cleaned IAC? MAF? Check plugs for foul up. Clogged cats can do this as well. Maybe just some fuel cleaner or a higher grade gas once on top of the fuel filter change would help.

Post more details.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Also, hows the tranny / tranny fluid?

·
Efficiency is Performance
1,214 Posts
Get your exhaust manifold gaskets replaced. The leaks not only cause the O2s to give bad A/F but outside atmospheric pressure is working against the engine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Something similar happened to my car about 6 months back. I took it to the mechanic and he said that my car was running on 5 cylinders instead of six. He replaced this box-like thing on top of the motor (Forgot what its called) where the six plugs go into and it fixed the problem. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Get your exhaust manifold gaskets replaced. The leaks not only cause the O2s to give bad A/F but outside atmospheric pressure is working against the engine.
yeah my exhaust leaking is actually not small its gotten pretty worse recently. so im guessing thats the main cause. ill check the plugs tomorrow and get the exhaust sealed up friday

·
Registered
222 Posts
Just start by fixing all the little things you haven't done in awhile. Basically, fix the exhaust leak ASAP, and follow that up with a tune-up. It's amazing what a good tune-up can do for your car. I once had a 1990 Corolla SR5 that I swear had something major wrong with it (Of course I knew nothing about cars at the time). Turns out all it needed was a simple tune-up and it purred after that, i was in disbelief. After only 10K the plugs should be fine unless they were installed incorrectly. When you reconnected the plug wires are you positive that you did it correctly. If the plug wires are mixed up that could be your problem.

·
Registered
390 Posts
as they said fix exhaust leak then reset the pcm by disconnecting the battery for about an hour or so. if still not right, remove and check EGR for a leak and clean if needed. check all vac hoses for leaks. if you have a engine miss there should be a check engine light if it works or a code in the computer.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Something similar happened to my car about 6 months back. I took it to the mechanic and he said that my car was running on 5 cylinders instead of six. He replaced this box-like thing on top of the motor (Forgot what its called) where the six plugs go into and it fixed the problem. Hope this helps!

Coil pack. As long as it's a stock or oem and not a crappy ass screamin demon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts