Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please give me some tips on doing this swap I have a donor mach 1 with 78k miles that was wrecked and I plan on rebuilding engine then swapping it into my 04 v6 this is my first time and I need some info on what to start with first while I have the mach 1 just sitting in my garage

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
Can someone please give me some tips on doing this swap I have a donor mach 1 with 78k miles that was wrecked and I plan on rebuilding engine then swapping it into my 04 v6 this is my first time and I need some info on what to start with first while I have the mach 1 just sitting in my garage
the only things the 2 cars your working with share is the basic body, some of the glass, dashboard, front spindles & hvac system.

every other part is diffrent so if you insist on doing a swap like this (defenately not recomended for a first timer) the best place to start is completely disassembling the mach 1 & bagging/marking every single nut/bolt/clip/wire/etc.

you will have your hands full, good luck with it but very few swaps like this get finished because of underestimation of the work involved.

you'd be better off cutting up the v6 for the body parts to fix the mach 1 or at least buying a GT to swap the mach 1 drivetrain into.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the only things the 2 cars your working with share is the basic body, some of the glass, dashboard, front spindles & hvac system.

every other part is diffrent so if you insist on doing a swap like this (defenately not recomended for a first timer) the best place to start is completely disassembling the mach 1 & bagging/marking every single nut/bolt/clip/wire/etc.

you will have your hands full, good luck with it but very few swaps like this get finished because of underestimation of the work involved.

you'd be better off cutting up the v6 for the body parts to fix the mach 1 or at least buying a GT to swap the mach 1 drivetrain into.

Thanks for the info and far as buying a gt I had my v6 for awhile and its paid for so I rather just fix it up its not my daily driver right now I drive my wife's car
I also have help from other guys at work I'm in military so I have time long as I don't deply soon

·
Registered
380 Posts

Unless you have time and money, find a gt to swap into.
This is truth .
You are better just selling the v6 and getting a high mileage gt which i've seen going for under 3k for 99-04's .

You could be better off finding a fox and doing the swap , that would be time better spent imo , and leaving the v6 to driven rather than becoming a lawn ornament on jacks stands .

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
If the Mach 1 is complete it can be done but it will be alot of work. You'll have to swap everything from the fuel system up. But again if the car is complete it won't be awful.

Keep in mind if you have never done a swap like this it will be awful though. Will all depend on your experiance.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the Mach 1 is complete it can be done but it will be alot of work. You'll have to swap everything from the fuel system up. But again if the car is complete it won't be awful.

Keep in mind if you have never done a swap like this it will be awful though. Will all depend on your experiance.

The mach 1 is complete and the parts that were damaged inn th wreck I already picked up and I got the mach for under 3k cause I let him keep the seats rims doors and bumpers

·
Registered
140 Posts
Fix the Mach..... You'll get more enjoyment out of it

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The swap is still in way I took the engine/tranny out and starte pulling wiring out also I undid the dash and tore down the engine just gotta find a good shop near me to take my block and heads to I'm thinking about putting performance parts back in the block rather than the stock ones any tips???

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Unless you have time and money, find a gt to swap into.
He mostly just needs the time and dedication to do this. If he's got a wrecked Mach that's just about everything he needs. He just has to basically gut everything from the V6 but the interior and swap it from the Mach.

The swap is still in way I took the engine/tranny out and starte pulling wiring out also I undid the dash and tore down the engine just gotta find a good shop near me to take my block and heads to I'm thinking about putting performance parts back in the block rather than the stock ones any tips???
What kind of performance do you want, and what is your budget?

·
Banned
178 Posts

Make sure that the instrument cluster and the PATS system that's around the ignition lock cylinder are swapped over as a pair so the car starts.

In the Mach 1 engine, the factory connecting rods are a weak link so it's highly reccomended to replace them with Manley forged rods at minimum. Might as well get some flat top forged pistons as well.

A set of Manley rods go for around $500

Mahle forged pistons go for around $550

I would also recommend some new energy suspension poly motor mounts.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Im just curious as to why people are saying to get a gt to swap the parts? Wouldn't you be swapping the powertrain either way? The only extra thing would be the rear end with the v6.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
He mostly just needs the time and dedication to do this. If he's got a wrecked Mach that's just about everything he needs. He just has to basically gut everything from the V6 but the interior and swap it from the Mach.

What kind of performance do you want, and what is your budget?
Im looking to put about 3k in the motor if need be...i wanna keep it na unless i find good procharger kit for sale but until then i just want to continue with the swap since the mach is in my garage chilling in pieces

---------- Post added at 11:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 PM ----------

Make sure that the instrument cluster and the PATS system that's around the ignition lock cylinder are swapped over as a pair so the car starts.

In the Mach 1 engine, the factory connecting rods are a weak link so it's highly reccomended to replace them with Manley forged rods at minimum. Might as well get some flat top forged pistons as well.

A set of Manley rods go for around $500

Mahle forged pistons go for around $550

I would also recommend some new energy suspension poly motor mounts.
thanks for the tips on parts i already were looking into them and i will take pictures this weekend its hard because i watch my kids in morning and work day until late night but my goal is to get the block and parts to machine shop next week and get that started and once i order my k-member and motor mounts i will part my v6 and start taking it a part.

---------- Post added at 11:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 PM ----------

Im just curious as to why people are saying to get a gt to swap the parts? Wouldn't you be swapping the powertrain either way? The only extra thing would be the rear end with the v6.
i wouldn't dare leave any v6 powertrain in the car and think it will hold up im swapping everything and what i dont swap i will upgrade i.e brake calipers because i want slotted, drive shaft for an aluminum, and k-member

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Would it be possible to swap the mach 1 rear end now and still be able to drive the v6 until the engine is done being built

·
Registered
303 Posts
Yes.

·
Premium Member
11,663 Posts
All that is there is the driveshaft, upper and lower control arms, springs, shocks and brake lines. As long as you bleed the calipers out, you should be fine. If I remember, the rotors were bigger on the Mach, so you'll want those, as well as the calipers to match.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 29 Posts