Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Certified Bwaloligisit
28,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, trying to get an idea together for a good summer project. I would like to put either a 289, 302, or 351 in the car. Preferibley a 289, that way I can keep the weight down so I don't have to upgrade the front suspension system.

Several quick questions:

When going to a carbed engine, what will have to happen with the computer?

if I do the swap, will the C4 transmision fit with the stock drive shaft?

Will the rear end need to be upgraded from a 7.6 to an 8.8?

If I find a 4speed or 5speed, will any of them work with any of the three engines? if not, What kind of transmision will they require?

I have more questions but just can't think of em right now.

If you have any other knowlage on this subject, please tell me.

·
Registered
631 Posts
ok, trying to get an idea together for a good summer project. I would like to put either a 289, 302, or 351 in the car. Preferibley a 289, that way I can keep the weight down so I don't have to upgrade the front suspension system.

Several quick questions:

When going to a carbed engine, what will have to happen with the computer? you wont need it, you'll need msd or equivalent to handle your spark and you'll also need a fuel pressure regulator to reduce your fuel pressure to a carb friendly 10-12.
if I do the swap, will the C4 transmision fit with the stock drive shaft? if you use the mounts from the 94-95 then they should
Will the rear end need to be upgraded from a 7.6 to an 8.8? Depends, if you were just gonna cruise it, it would be okay. I dont think however you'd but a carbed smallblock in a sn95 for the purpose of cruising so i think your gonna want the 8.8
If I find a 4speed or 5speed, will any of them work with any of the three engines? if not, What kind of transmision will they require? Stick with the t5 for manual, or c4 auto. their your best choices for getting her going quick. if so you'll need to change your cluster to an older to use the gear driven speedo.
I have more questions but just can't think of em right now. I'm sure you do!
If you have any other knowledge on this subject, please tell me.
Your gonna have to go aftermarket k member or 94-95 5.0 k member. if you use the 351 you'll have to look around for a set of headers that will work due to the 9" deckheight of the 351. hevier springs up front for the added weight. a carbed small block can be put into pretty much any car, which is why its so widely used. I have to ask though, why all this work?

·
Bringing Yellow Back
10,928 Posts
i would just go wiht a 351, all three are cast iron block so notmuch different in weight

·
Absens haeres non erit
2,807 Posts
351 Windsor? I've always thought about doing this, it would be a pretty straight forward/ badass swap. Plus the motor can be had on the cheap. No computers to worry about... Sigh.

Not to thread jack, but my current build is an LS1 powered S14.

·
Registered
631 Posts
^ I understand how easy it is, thats not why i wanna know why all the work. I wanna know what his plans are so i dont lead him down the wrong path. Road, Drag, Cruise, Beater, Show?

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
would mat likely be a cruiser and when it can it will go to shows
a carbd 302 is probably going to be the easiest. you just need a 94-95 k member. the height of a 351 may give you a few issues, i think you can fit a carbd 302 under the stock hood but not sure. maybe buy a hood scoop and cut out underneath it and make it functional! now that would be cool

·
Certified Bwaloligisit
28,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't have a gt hood but it would be cool. This would definatly be a cool project for summer

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
Carb ftl....

EFI 351 and a vortech :D, or a H/C/I 302

·
Certified Bwaloligisit
28,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
well if your making a drag car, it doesn't matter....

for a anything that might be DD i'll stick to efi :D

·
Certified Bwaloligisit
28,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I see your point. But we all drove carbs at some point in our life. So I just want something truly unique. and a project over summer.

·
Bringing Yellow Back
10,928 Posts
i swapped my 2000 dodge over to a carb, i could drive it every day no problem. but would i want to.....

no

would i swap it over to carb again...

yes! in a heart beat

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
Yeah I see your point. But we all drove carbs at some point in our life. So I just want something truly unique. and a project over summer.
I could say we all used to ride horses at some point also, but I don't want to go back to doing that either.

·
Bringing Yellow Back
10,928 Posts
in the summer it would be fine, but driving it in the winter will suck ass

·
Certified Bwaloligisit
28,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
in the summer it would be fine, but driving it in the winter will suck ass
very true, not sure what I do then. I guess drive my dads creeper van or buy a beater.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Your gonna have to go aftermarket k member or 94-95 5.0 k member. if you use the 351 you'll have to look around for a set of headers that will work due to the 9" deckheight of the 351. hevier springs up front for the added weight. a carbed small block can be put into pretty much any car, which is why its so widely used. I have to ask though, why all this work?
I believe all he would have to change are the 94-95 motor mounts.

·
Just Cheesin'
7,574 Posts
**** carbs man.. At least get a stand alone TBI.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts